How fast? We calculate the speed of Bradley Johnson’s stunning derby day strike
- Credit: PA
It's been one of the big talking points of Norwich City's derby day victory.
Most Canaries fans agree they have never seen a goal struck at greater speed – and we today estimate that Bradley Johnson's thunderbolt strike in Sunday's derby victory was hit at an amazing 82mph.
We haven't got resident mathematicians but we've calculated that the 27-year-old midfielder was 16 yards out when he hit the ball and it took 0.4 seconds to go over the line from the moment it left his foot.
The Football Association does not keep official records, but Johnson could now be up there with the hardest-hitting scorers of all time.
David Beckham was estimated at scoring at 97.9mph for Manchester United against Chelsea in 1996.
Other thunderbolts include David Trezeguet for AS Monaco against Manchester United (96mph, 1998), Richie Humphreys for Sheffield Wednesday against Aston Villa (95.9mph in 1996), Zlatan Ibrahimovic for Paris Saint Germain against Anderlecht (93mph in 2013) and Matt Le Tissier for Southampton against Newcastle (86.8mph in 1997).
The speed of Johnson's strike, however, is slightly dwarfed when compared with other sports.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Flood alerts pass off peacefully along the north Norfolk coast
- 3 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 5 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 8 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot could be lodged 'in next couple of months'
- 9 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 10 Cromer Carnival events cancelled due to extreme heat.
In tennis, the likes of Ivo Karlovic and Andy Roddick have been recorded serving at over 150mph, and golfer Rory McIlroy's average swing speed is 119.69mph.