Former City number one Gunn linked with £15m move to Southampton
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Southampton are reportedly in talks with Manchester City to sign former Norwich City loan keeper Angus Gunn in a deal worth around £15million.
Goal claim the Saints are in talks for the England Under-21 international, with Premier League rivals Leicester City also keen to sign the 22-year-old.
Norwich-born Gunn, the son of Canaries legend Bryan, was an ever-present in the Championship for Norwich last season and was voted into third place by fans in the player-of-the-season stakes.
The youngster kept 15 clean sheets as he earned his first senior experience and has been capped 11 times at U21 level by England. He was also an unused substitute for the England senior squad during a friendly against Brazil last season and trained with Gareth Southgate's squad ahead of the World Cup.
While a return to Norwich never seemed likely for next season, a loan move to top-flight Watford or Championship new boys Stoke had been touted.
But it seems Southampton boss Mark Hughes has made a permanent move, after Alex McCarthy took over from the out-of-favour Fraser Forster – another former Norwich loanee – during the latter stages of last season. Former Reading keeper McCarthy has today been rewarded with a new four-year contract.
Norwich City Report Card: Bye bye Angus. Hello Remi
The report also states that Premier League champions Manchester City would insert a buy-back clause in any deal for Gunn, who they signed from Norwich in 2011 after his family left Norfolk, with a compensation fee of £250,000 set by an independent tribunal.
Gunn is yet to make his debut for Manchester City but has been named on the bench for Premier League and Champions League games by manager Pep Guardiola in the past.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'