Former Norwich City striker Noel Kinsey dies, aged 91

Noel Kinsey, centre, in action at Carrow Road. Picture: Archant

Noel Kinsey, centre, in action at Carrow Road. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant © 2004

Former Norwich City frontman Noel Kinsey, who scored 65 goals for the Canaries in the late 1940s and early 1950s, has died at the age of 91.

Born in South Wales, Kinsey joined City from Cardiff at the start of the 1947-8 season and went on to become a regular scorer for the club.

His goals helped City become competitive in Division Three South, after they had struggled badly in the immediate post-war years.

The Canaries finished second, third and fourth in consecutive seasons, with Kinsey playing a key role from his position of inside right.

He went on to make 243 appearances for the Canaries, with his impressive goal tally placing him 12th in the club's all-time scorers' list.

His best season in front of goal was the 1949-50 campaign, when he netted 17 goals in 42 appearances.

Kinsey left Norwich at the end of the 1952-53 season to join Birmingham City, helping the Blues to the Second Division title and scoring what proved to be a consolation goal in the 1956 FA Cup Final, which Manchester City won 3-1.

Most Read

It was a game which went down in Wembley folklore, with Manchester City's German goalkeeper Bert Trautmann playing on despite breaking a bone in his neck after a challenge from Birmingham's Peter Murphy.

Kinsey spent a total of four-and-a-half years at St Andrews, scoring 48 goals in 148 games, before seeing out his Football League career at Port Vale, who were then managed by his former Norwich boss Norman Low. He netted six goals in 72 appearances for the Division Three South outfit.

He went on to play for Cheltenham Town, then a non-league side, before deciding to settle back in Norwich.

Kinsey turned out for King's Lynn and was also player manager at Lowestoft Town before hanging up his boots in his early 40s.

He later worked for Norwich Union before spending his retirement living in the city.

The Welshman won seven caps for his country between 1951 and 1955 and featured in qualifying for the 1954 World Cup, playing in the 2–1 defeat to Northern Ireland at Wrexham.