Former City stalwart cuts short Walsall stint
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Russell Martin has cut short his spell as player/coach at League One Walsall for family reasons.
Martin made 12 appearances for the Saddlers after ending his nine-year association with the Canaries back in October.
'The decision to leave Walsall is purely for family reasons,' said Martin, speaking to Walsall's official site. 'I haven't been seeing my kids enough since the move and they are struggling with that. I need to be with my family more.
'There has been a lot of change in my life in such a short space of time and I need to put them first and spend a bit more time with my wife and kids. I have loved working with the lads, they are a fantastic group.
'I have loved working with the manager as well, he has been brilliant. Everyone at the club has been great and I have really, really enjoyed my time here.
'It hasn't gone quite how we would have liked but I honestly believe the lads are getting there. I hope I have added some value at some point along the way to the players on and off the pitch.
'After a chat with the manager, he agrees that I need to put my family first.'
- 1 Major incident in city after reports of stabbing
- 2 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 3 Woman stabbed in neck and arm in city park
- 4 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 5 Range Rover hit by train after straying onto level crossing
- 6 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 7 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 8 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 9 Woman in 50s arrested after house sealed off in quiet street
- 10 Thieves run off with alcohol worth nearly £5,000 from Tesco
'Russ has been a fantastic pro for us since he has been here, both on and off the pitch,' said Walsall chief Dean Keates.
'Of course we are disappointed to see him leave but the travelling is affecting him and he is at the point now where he needs to put his family first and do what is best for them.
'I'd like to thank Russ for his efforts during his time here and I wish him all the best for whatever the next step in his career is.'