First England call-up for Norwich City playmaker James Maddison
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Norwich City talent James Maddison is celebrating after moving a step closer to making his international debut.
The gifted playmaker has earned his first call-up to the England set-up for the under-20s' friendly against Canada at Doncaster Rovers' Keepmoat Stadium on March 27. The Three Lions selection caps a dream few months for the 19-year-old which has also seen him earn a move to the Premier League.
Norwich paid a reported £2.5million on deadline-day to prise the attacking midfielder away from his hometown club, League One Coventry City – where he was immediately sent back on loan for the rest of the season.
Maddison's eye-catching displays have continued since his Ricoh Arena return with Joe Cole admitting that his temporary team-mate has the talent to make it all the way to the top. As a result of his call-up, the Canaries ace will miss Coventry's League One clash with Peterborough United on March 25. The same can be said for Norwich left-back Harry Toffolo, 20, who is currently on loan with Posh.
The duo will join former Canaries youngster Angus Gunn in Keith Downing's squad for his first match since taking permanent charge of the age group. Gunn is one of three Manchester City youngsters in the party whose standout name is Manchester United hitman Marcus Rashford.
You may also want to watch:
The teenager has started six successive United matches, leading to talk of a late place in the Euro 2016 squad. However, such talk is likely to be cooled after it was confirmed he will spend the international break with the under-20s. Gareth Southgate's England Under-21s squad will be announced tomorrow morning, followed by the senior team that will travel to Germany before hosting Holland at Wembley.
Meanwhile, City outcast Kyle Lafferty has been named in Northern Ireland's 24-man squad ahead of the March 24 clash against Wales at Cardiff City Stadium and Slovenia's visit to Windsor Park four days' later.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk