Fake Twitter account sparks fresh speculation that Celtic manager Neil Lennon will be appointed Norwich City manager
- Credit: Archant
The pitfalls of social media have been highlighted for Norwich City fans overnight, after many were duped by a fake Twitter account posing as BBC Sport pundit Garth Crooks.
The fake account claimed that Celtic manager Neil Lennon was due to be appointed in the next 48 hours, saying: 'It is happening and he can't wait.'
Subsequently Lennon's odds for becoming the next City manager have tumbled with bookmakers, suggesting a rush of money staked on the Northern Irishman following the tweets.
The BBC has confirmed that former Tottenham Hotspur forward Garth Crooks is not on Twitter and that the tweet is not genuine.
A BBC spokesman said: 'Garth is not on Twitter, this is a completely fake account.'
You may also want to watch:
Norwich fans are today eagerly awaiting news of who the club's new manager will be, after a club statement was released on Sunday night, saying: 'The board will confirm who our manager will be in the 2014-15 season in a statement to supporters within a week.'
Check back to this website throughout today for the latest news coming out of Carrow Road.
- 1 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 2 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 3 Drivers delivering for Amazon have hundreds of pounds of pay withheld
- 4 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 5 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 6 Peter Crouch drove to Yarmouth while on Norwich loan - and wasn't impressed
- 7 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 8 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 9 Tenants battled 'extreme mould' for months
- 10 Gym owner set to open fourth site in Norfolk on April 12