FA Cup giant-killers Sutton United to host Norwich City in pre-season
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City have announced an additional friendly to their pre-season schedule, against National League side Sutton United.
Sutton made national headlines last year when they reached the fifth round of the FA Cup, beating Leeds 1-0 on their artificial 3G pitch at Gander Green Lane in the fourth round, before being beaten 2-0 by Arsenal in the fifth.
The south London side will host a Canaries select XI on Friday, July 28 (7.45pm kick-off), the night before City's final friendly ahead of the new season, against Premier League new boys Brighton at Carrow Road.
Sutton finished 12th in the National League last season with their pitch at the Kinghts Community Stadium, as it is officially known, having Fifa's highest rating for an artificial pitch.
Norwich recorded one of their biggest ever competitive victories in a match against Sutton in 1989, an 8-0 thrashing of the non-league side in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Carrow Road in January 1989.
Trevor Putney opened the scoring ahead of Malcolm Allen scoring four and Robert Fleck three.
City's pre-season schedule kicks off with a five-day training camp in Ireland, starting on Monday, July 3 and including a friendly against local team Cobh Ramblers on Wednesday, July 5 (7.30pm).
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
Daniel Farke's team will then return home for a friendly at Lowestoft Town on Saturday, July 8 (3pm), which is a testimonial for Trawlerboys legend Micky Chapman.
A friendly away to Stevenage follows on Tuesday, July 11 (7.45) and another League Two side, Cambridge United, in a 180-minute friendly on Saturday, July 15 (2pm).
A trip to League One side Charlton awaits on Tuesday, July 25 (7.45pm), ahead of the game against Sutton on July 28 and the final friendly against Brighton on Saturday, July 29.
The Championship season is then due to start the following weekend.