Experience of Klose and Zimmermann is first choice for City fans
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Reuniting the pairing of Christoph Zimmermann and Timm Klose at centre-back is the way forward for Norwich City, according to our latest online poll.
Daniel Farke's previously settled back-line has been disrupted by injury in the last six weeks, conceding 13 goals in seven Championship matches.
Fortunately the character of the City squad has battled through a difficult period to remain with just one defeat in 15 matches and level on points with second-placed Sheffield United.
The disruption began when Klose pulled up in the warm-up ahead of a home clash with Bolton at the start of December, with youngster Ben Godfrey stepping in and helping earn a 3-2 win.
Prior to that game the Canaries had picked the same back four for 15 consecutive games, with youngsters Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis at full-back either side of Zimmermann and Klose – conceding just 10 in a fine run of form which drove Farke's team to the top of the table.
You may also want to watch:
Klose's knee problem kept him out of a 2-2 draw at Bristol City, with Godfrey starting again but Zimmermann battling through illness and having to be replaced by Grant Hanley on the hour.
Zimmermann and Godfrey shut Blackburn out in a 1-0 away win next, before the returning Klose had to step in for Zimmermann at the last minute ahead of the Boxing Day clash with Nottingham Forest, a chaotic 3-3 draw. That game saw Lewis pull up with a hamstring strain so Godfrey had to move to left-back for a home clash with Derby, as Zimmermann and Klose were swallowed up in the floodlight drama of that strange 4-3 defeat.
- 1 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 2 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Water outages hit homes across city
- 5 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 7 People released from car after crash closes road
- 8 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 9 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 10 'Heartless' fraudster stole from elderly hospital patients
It was the same set up in front of Tim Krul for the 1-1 draw at Brentford but Klose's knee niggle saw him miss Saturday's tough trip to West Brom, with Lewis fit enough to return and allow Godfrey to move into the centre.
Combined with injuries to key midfielders Mo Leitner and Marco Stiepermann, it's been a rather testing time for Farke – and City fans have opted for experience ahead of Friday night's televised clash with play-off chasing Birmingham.
Your centre-back pairing for Birmingham is?
Zimmermann & Klose – 63pc
Hanley & Klose – 14pc
Zimmermann & Godfrey – 9pc
Godfrey & Klose – 7pc
Zimmermann & Hanley – 5pc
Hanley & Godfrey – 2pc
(Over 1,800 voters)
• Results correct at the time of writing, poll remains open above