Devastating injury blow for Norwich City midfielder Louis Thompson
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Louis Thompson's season-ending Achilles injury is 'devastating' news admits Alex Neil.
The young midfielder underwent surgery on Friday to assess the extent of the training ground injury suffered in the build up to Birmingham City's visit.
Thompson was on course to recover from the pelvic injury which had curtailed a promising campaign.
'Devastated for the lad because he has worked extremely hard to get back involved, but unfortunately he has damaged his Achilles quite severely,' said Neil. 'He will definitely be out for the season. He went for surgery today and we will get the extent of the damage once he is done. You need to see how bad the tear is or worse, whether it is attached to the bone or not.
'We literally had just started the training session, did the full warm-up and the first ball comes to him and he just crumples with no one near him. You could tell right away.
You may also want to watch:
'We got him signed on a new contract because we see him as part of the future and he had worked ever so hard to get himself back in contention this weekend and then this happens.'
Matt Jarvis and Steven Whittaker both trained on Friday after hamstring injuries but both are unlikely to feature against the Blues.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
'Steven is touch and go. He joined in today but that has pretty much been his limitations,' said Neil. 'Matt Jarvis also joined in today but unlike Steven he has been out for a considerable length of time and won't be ready.'
Nelson Oliveira serves the final match of his ban for a red card at Rotherham United.