Defender Ryan Bennett signs new three-year deal with Norwich City
- Credit: Stefano Gnech/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City defender Ryan Bennett has signed a new three-year contract.
It extends the former Peterborough United centre-back's deal through until the summer of 2017.
The 24-year-old made 20 appearances for the Canaries last season, scoring once.
'We're really delighted, Ryan's a superb young player with the range of qualities that he's got on and off the ball,' manager Neil Adams told City's official website.
'There are very few more aggressive defenders than him, especially in the air. He's been here a few years already, and with him putting pen to paper I'm really happy.'
Bennentt has made 48 appearances for City in total since joining from Peterborough in the summer of 2012 in a deal worth around £3million.
The former England Under-21 defender said of his new deal: 'Signing is something I was looking to do and I couldn't be happier to do it.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 4 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 5 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 6 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 7 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 8 Behind the scenes at Britain's most dilapidated hospital
- 9 Come and meet the animals you could adopt at RSPCA open day
- 10 New 250-space car park could be created near picturesque Norfolk harbour
'Personally and family wise, it's been an unbelievable two years with everyone around the club and I'm very happy to extend that.
'With the size of the club and the ambitions we've got for this season and the future – we want to be back in the Premier League which is where every player wants to be playing – signing this extension gives me a few extra years here and hopefully we can build that together.'
Bennett had lived in the Hemsby area of Norfolk since he was 14 years old and played junior football for Ipswich Town until he was released when he was 16.
He spent time training with City but wasn't offered a deal and ended up signing for Grimsby Town, where he went on to become the club's youngest ever captain.
After a successful loan spell at Peterborough, he was signed in a deal worth around £500,000 by Posh and made over 100 appearances in three seasons before returning to Norfolk in January 2012, initially returning to Posh on loan for a month.
Do you expect Bennett to be an important player for the Canaries this season? Leave your comments below.