Darren Huckerby is promoted as part of Norwich City academy shake-up
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press ©2004
Norwich City legend Darren Huckerby will take charge of the Canaries' U16s academy squad as part of a shake-up which has seen the departures of Paul Wilkinson and Jerry Gill from the club's academy coaching group.
Huckerby had been working alongside former Reading defender Graeme Murty with the club's promising crop of U16s but Murty will now take over from Gill at U18 level with Huckerby taking charge of the younger age group on a full-time basis at Colney.
Wilkinson leaves the club after a successful stint with the development squad that guaranteed another season in the elite tier of academy football. City confirmed they intend to announce his successor following a recruitment process.
A statement on the official web site outling the changes read: 'The club has parted company with Under-21s manager Paul Wilkinson and Under-18s manager Jerry Gill, and would like to place on record its thanks to Paul and Jerry and wish them the very best for the future.
'City is now actively recruiting for the vacant role of Under-21s manager, and an announcement will be made in due course.'
You may also want to watch:
Former first team manager and FA Youth Cup winning coach Neil Adams will be one of the early front-runners for the position, with the club making it clear following his January departure they would look to bring Adams back into the fold after a suitable break from the game.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 6 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 7 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 10 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
• City's U21 development fixtures have also been released. The Canaries begin their campaign at Sunderland's Eppleton Colliery Welfare ground on Sunday, August 9 (2pm) before Leicester City visit Colney on Monday, August 17 (3pm).
City's first match to be held at Carrow Road is set to take place on Friday, August 28, when they face Chelsea (7pm). The stadium is scheduled to play host to a number of other sides throughout the course of the campaign, including Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City.
Everton will be the final Under-21s outfit to visit Carrow Road in the league, with the Toffees set to make the trip to Norfolk on Monday, April 4 (7pm).
The development squad will round off their regular league season away to Liverpool in a match held at the home of Chester on Monday, April 25 (7pm).