Dani Ayala and David Fox feature in Norwich City’s 1-0 development league defeat to Fulham’s Under-21s
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City duo Dani Ayala and David Fox played the full 90 minutes in the Canaries' 1-0 Premier League development defeat to Fulham's Under-21s at Colney on Monday afternoon.
Cauley Woodrow's early penalty after being brought down by Ayala maintained the Cottagers' 100% start to the new development season and inflicted a second straight reverse on the Canaries after last week's away loss at Aston Villa's under-21s.
The likes of Sebastien Bassong and Anthony Pilkington were not included in the City squad, which suggested both are likely to come into contention for Tuesday's Capital One Cup second round home tie against Bury.
City included Josh and Jacob Murphy along with Jamar Loza and Carlton Morris in a potent looking side but it was Fulham who made the early running and were rewarded when Ayala brought down Woodrow after the Fulham front man had latched onto Lasse Vigen Christensen's pass. Woodrow kept his composure to send Remi Mathews the wrong way from the penalty spot. Morris then tested Marcus Bettinelli as the hosts' looked to reply in kind before Josh Murphy was denied. Matthews produced a smart stop to halt Tom Richards prior to Morris striking the woodwork on the half-hour mark.
Matthews' acrobatic stop clawed out Sean Kavanagh's free-kick but Fulham continued to press after the interval with Muamer Tankovic and Alex Brister wasting good chances to extend the visitors' lead before Woodrow went close to doubling his tally only to be denied by the over-worked Matthews.
Bettinelli then did well to deny Jamar Loza prior to the excellent Woodrow being sent clear by Kerim Frei in the 76th minute, but the goalscorer encountered fresh resistance from Matthews. Morris went close to salvaging a point in the final minutes when he tested Bettinelli with a stinging half-volley from Josh Murphy's pass.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 4 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 5 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 6 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
- 7 WATCH: Nudist camp saved from field fire by farmers
- 8 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 9 Behind the scenes at Britain's most dilapidated hospital
- 10 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park
• Norwich City: Matthews; McNeil, Ayala, Gafaiti, Toffolo, McGeehan, Fox, Jacob Murphy, Loza, Josh Murphy, Morris. Subs (not used): Barker, Priestley, Callan-McFadden, Hall-Johnson.
• Fulham: Bettinelli, Brister, Grimmer, Passley, Kavanagh, Frei, Vigen Christensen, David, Richards, Tankovic, Woodrow (Islamovic 77). Subs (not used): Joronen, Buatu, Della Verde, Minkwitz.
• Goal: Woodrow (4)