‘We have bigger fish to fry this year’ – City fans see the positive side of FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The disappointment of an injury-time defeat to League One side Portsmouth soon lifted for Norwich City fans, after the threat of an unwanted midweek replay had loomed large at Carrow Road.
Daniel Farke's much-changed team played the majority of the match with 10 men thanks to a red card for captain Grant Hanley in just the 15th minute.
However it was still 0-0 in injury-time as neither team could break the deadlock, only for Pompey to break away and win it in the fifth minute of added time through Aston Villa loanee Andre Green.
It meant a third round exit for the sixth successive season for the Canaries, who haven't won a Carrow Road tie in the competition for eight years now, since beating Burnley 4-1 in 2011.
While a win would have been preferable, heading to the south coast for a midweek replay was the last thing City wanted, sitting second in the Championship table and with game against promotion rivals approaching.
You may also want to watch:
It could now lead to a welcome rest weekend on Saturday, January 26, if Sheffield United beat non-league Barnet at home tomorrow – causing the postponement of the third-placed Blades' trip to Carrow Road on that date.
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above and below
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls