‘We have bigger fish to fry this year’ – City fans see the positive side of FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The disappointment of an injury-time defeat to League One side Portsmouth soon lifted for Norwich City fans, after the threat of an unwanted midweek replay had loomed large at Carrow Road.
Daniel Farke's much-changed team played the majority of the match with 10 men thanks to a red card for captain Grant Hanley in just the 15th minute.
However it was still 0-0 in injury-time as neither team could break the deadlock, only for Pompey to break away and win it in the fifth minute of added time through Aston Villa loanee Andre Green.
It meant a third round exit for the sixth successive season for the Canaries, who haven't won a Carrow Road tie in the competition for eight years now, since beating Burnley 4-1 in 2011.
While a win would have been preferable, heading to the south coast for a midweek replay was the last thing City wanted, sitting second in the Championship table and with game against promotion rivals approaching.
It could now lead to a welcome rest weekend on Saturday, January 26, if Sheffield United beat non-league Barnet at home tomorrow – causing the postponement of the third-placed Blades' trip to Carrow Road on that date.
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above and below
- 1 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 2 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 3 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 4 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 5 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 6 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 7 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 8 Water company 'very sorry' as people fill sandbags in flooded street
- 9 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 10 Jailed this week: Paedophile and teen who blinded man