Chris Hughton reserves special praise for Josh Murphy after Norwich City’s opening USA tour win
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Chris Hughton declared himself satisfied after Norwich City's 3-0 romp over Dorados de Sinaloa in the early hours of Friday morning in Sacramento.
Luciano Becchio opened his account for the club when he despatched Robert Snodgrass' inviting near post cross in the 64th minute to spark a frenzied spell that saw Anthony Pilkington slot a cool second before Josh Murphy sealed the win with a thumping strike from 16 yards all with six second half minutes.
'In some ways it was a typical first pre-season game. We took our time to get going,' said Hughton. 'They showed some really good touches in that first period I thought and we had to defend well. Sometimes these types of games it is all about the first goal and you could see it opened up then. That is exactly how it panned out. I thought we were able to introduce some players that made us a bit stronger overall and we were able to capitalise on that.
'The changes we made at half-time were decided in advance. Generally, the ones who came off I only wanted to play 45 minutes. But whatever team I had picked to start that first half I'm not sure it would have altered the flow of the game.'
Dutch summer signings Leroy Fer and Ricky van Wolfswinkel both settled for a watching brief - alongside Wes Hoolahan - on the City bench but Hughton confirmed they will make their club debuts in Saturday's next test against San Jose Earthquakes. Youngster Murphy took his chance in the absence of that attacking trio, but Hughton is prepared to play the long game with the FA Youth Cup winner.
You may also want to watch:
'Josh we decided to put off the front because he has played that role a little bit more and it was some goal,' he said. 'It was real good quality and I was really pleased for him. I still think he is one who has more development in him. Is he one who I think is ready at this moment? No, probably not but you just never know. He is a young lad and it will certainly benefit him being out here.
'With those lads you mentioned it was always in my mind to do that. They came back a little later after being away with their countries and it was the same with Wes. All three of them will be involved on Saturday.'
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 3 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 4 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 7 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 8 Couple's heartbreak leads to 28 hour stream to support baby loss charity
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out