Chris Burke and Leon Best latest names to be linked to Norwich City
Friends reunited is the emerging theme of Chris Hughton's pending transfer activity with the Canaries' chief stepping up his search for new recruits ahead of City's return to pre-season training on July 9.
Hughton reportedly made it clear over the weekend that Grant Holt's immediate future remains a pressing priority after sanctioning longer term deals for Russell Martin and Andrew Surman.
But the Daily Mail yesterday identified a couple of Birmingham old boys who could make the same journey from the Midlands to link up again with their former Blues' boss in Norfolk.
Central defender Curtis Davies has already been mentioned in despatches this summer to bolster a squad shorn of the experience of Zak Whitbread, but Birmingham's Scottish midfielder Chris Burke is the latest added to a potential list of St Andrews departures. Burke joined Birmingham on a free transfer from Cardiff last summer and capped an impressive personal campaign during the Blues' successful Europa League tilt and run to the Championship play-offs by being crowned player-of-the-year at the Second City club.
The Mail also believe Norwich could potentially enter the race for Newcastle striker Leon Best – another former Hughton signing – who has fallen down the pecking order at St James' behind the potent talents of Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse. Blackburn are apparently in pole position, with the Newcastle Chronicle reporting the relegated Premier League outfit have launched a �3m bid. Best's old club Southampton could also be another possible destination for the Republic of Ireland striker, who helped fire Hughton's Newcastle to the Championship title in 2010.
You may also want to watch:
John Ruddy's new four-year deal, announced by the club yesterday, finally ended the speculation the England keeper was a target for Paul Lambert at Aston Villa – a story Ruddy himself had knocked back.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 City confirm midfielder exit
- 8 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game