Chelsea beat Norwich City on penalties in FA Youth Cup

Norwich City's youngsters suffered penalty heartbreak as they went out of the FA Youth Cup to Chelsea in a shoot-out after two energy-sapping hours failed to produce a goal at Carrow Road.

The London club went through to the last 16 on spot-kicks last night by scoring four out of four after the Canaries failed with their first two attempts.

It was a tough way to go out of the competition for Ricky Martin's Academy side, who matched their big name opponents blow for blow and had the better chances to win the tie in extra-time.

Substitute Joshua Murphy was denied three times by Chelsea goalkeeper Jamal Blackman and, to rub salt into City's wounds, Blackman also saved from Murphy when he stepped up as the second penalty-taker.

Cameron McGeehan had struck the bar with the Canaries' first spot-kick, and although Michael Clunan and Jamar Loza went on to score from 12 yards, Chelsea converted all four with Lewis Baker tucking away the decisive kick.

After a subdued opening, both keepers made vital saves in the opening half to keep the tie goalless at the break.

City's Remi Matthews was forced into action for the first time after 20 minutes when Lucas Piazon let fly from long range.

Most Read

Blackman prevented City from taking the lead in the 25th minute when he blocked Loza's shot at close range after defender Daniel Pappoe had cut out a cross from Reece Hall-Johnson, but knocked it straight into Loza's path. Pappoe was injured in the process and was stretchered off, to be replaced by Archange Nkumu.

Defender Todd Kane should have given Chelsea the lead five minutes before the break after being put through in the six-yard box, only for Matthews to splendidly whisk the ball away from him without bringing the player down.

Chelsea looked more incisive in the second half and City's back four, notably centre-backs Taylor McKenzie and Harry Barker, had to be at their most determined to snuff out the danger.

A brilliant challenge by McKenzie denied Islam Feruz three minutes after the break and Matthews rushed out to thwart substitute Alex Kiwomya, nephew of former Ipswich star Chris. But one minute from the end of normal time, Loza had the chance to wrap up the tie when he robbed Nathan Ake and homed in on Blackman, only to be denied by a timely challenge by Kane.

City had the better opportunities in extra time. Joshua Murphy, who had replaced his identical twin, had a fine header from Clunan's free-kick tipped over the bar by Blackman just seconds before the changeover.

Murphy was denied again when his stinging left-footer was kept out by a splendid save by Blackman in the opening seconds after the restart.

Blackman saved again from Murphy with four minutes left after the substitute brilliantly juggled Clunan's pass before letting fly, but for City it was not meant to be.

'It is really tough to go out like that – but tough as well because I felt we should have won the game,' said Academy manager Ricky Martin. 'It was probably one of the best 0-0 games I've seen, but without trying to be too biased I thought we had the better clear-cut chances and their 'keeper pulled off saves, and that's what he's there for.'

• Norwich City Under-18: Matthews, Norman, Toffolo, Clunan, Barker, McKenzie, Hall-Johnson, McGeehan, Loza, Florence (Dobbs, 103), Jacob Murphy (Joshua Murphy, 72). Subs (not used): Cable, Jones, McFadden.

• Chelsea Under-18: Blackman, Kane, Pappoe (Nkumu, 29), Ake, Nditi, Chalobah, Affane (Kiwomya, 62), Swift, Feruz (Gordon, 107), Baker, Piazon. Subs: (not used) Beeney, Osmanovic.

• Referee: Carl Fitch (Suffolk)

• Attendance: 1,099

• Penalties: City: McGeehan (missed), Joshua Murphy (saved), Clunan (scored), Loza (scored). Chelsea: Chalobah (scored), Piazon (scored), Kiwomya (scored), Baker (scored)

• Bookings: City: Clunan (8), Florence (33). Chelsea: Baker (67), Kane (87), Nkumu (90)