Celtic clash up next for Norwich City Under-23s in Premier League International Cup
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
Free football returns to Carrow Road tonight as the youngsters of Scottish giants Celtic take on Norwich City's under-23 squad in the Premier League International Cup (7pm kick-off).
The two teams both won their opening matches in Group E of this year's competition, which is in its second season and pits 12 Premier League Two teams against the development sides from 12 major European clubs, including Porto, Feyenoord and Benfica.
The young Canaries beat Valencia's development side 2-0 in September thanks to an early strike from Carlton Morris and Josh Murphy forcing an own goal in the first half.
An inspired performance from former Portsmouth goalkeeper Paul Jones was required to hold onto that lead against the talented Spaniards in the second half though.
Fellow over-age players Michael Turner, Seb Bassong and Graham Dorrans also featured for City in front of around 250 spectators, with Alex Pritchard and Sergi Canos also able to play as under-23s.
Celtic won their group opener 3-0 at Aston Villa last Wednesday and complete their matches against Valencia, in Southampton, on Wednesday, November 30. City are scheduled to complete their group games at home to Villa on Monday, December 5.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Neil is likely to again take the opportunity to see some of his fringe players in action for Dmiitri Halajko's development squad, as he finalises his plans for the first team's return to Championship action at QPR on Saturday.
Josh Murphy is the City U23s' top scorer so far this season with five goals, ahead of striker Carlton Morris, who has three to his name.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 6 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
• Tickets for tonight's game can be claimed at canaries.co.uk, by calling 0844 826 1902 or from the club's stores at Chapelfield, Castle Mall or Carrow Road. Fans arriving on the night without pre-booked tickets are being advised to turn up early.
• Follow live updates from tonight's match at www.pinkun.com