‘I’m very happy to be here’ – Norwich City confirm Emi Buendia switch from Getafe
- Credit: CORDON/PA Images
Argentine attacking midfielder Emi Buendia has completed his move to England to become Daniel Farke's first summer signing.
The 21-year-old will join the Canaries from La Liga side Getafe for an undisclosed fee on July 1, understood to be around £1.5million, and has signed a four-year deal.
Buendía spent last season on loan at Segunda Division side Cultural y Deportiva Leonesa, where his performances earned him their player-of-the-season award alongside 13 assists – the second-highest tally in La Liga 2 – and six goals from his 40 appearances. Albeit, the forward's efforts could not help Leonesa avoid relegation to Spain's third tier.
'I'm very happy to join Norwich City. It's a new adventure and a new project and it's something I'm very excited about,' said Buendia.
'It's a great club and a big club with a good project. The aim is to get back into the Premier League and as I said before, I'm very happy to be here.
'I've always liked English football. The atmosphere and the stadiums are amazing and from when I was a little boy, I've always wanted to play in England.'
The right-footed Argentine was also capped three times by Spain's Under-19 side and spent a year with Real Madrid's youth set-up, before signing to Getafe's development programme as a 14-year-old.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 9 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 10 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
'We are very happy with the signing because Emi is the perfect fit for our squad,' head coach Daniel Farke added, speaking to City's official website.
'We've followed him for several months and we were always desperate to sign him. There was lots of interest in him.
'We wanted a guy who can score and assist and he did this last season. He's a technical player, full of creativity and he has lots of potential.'
Argentinian U20 international Buendia, who was believed to be a long term scouting target for the Canaries after being tracked prior to the January transfer window, can operate on either flank or in the number 10 position.
With James Maddison touted with a summer exit, City's top brass have looked to bolster the creative part of a squad that lost Alex Pritchard to Premier League Huddersfield Town last season, while Moritz Leitner returned to his parent club after an injury-hit loan spell.