Pick your City centre back duo to face Watford
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke's decision to hand Andrew Omobamidele a Premier League debut at Arsenal, and keep Ben Gibson and new signing Ozan Kabak on the bench, underlines the battle for places at the heart of the Norwich City defence.
The Irish teenager followed on from his first start for the Republic of Ireland in a World Cup qualifier last week with a composed shift alongside captain Grant Hanley at the Emirates.
Farke suggested afterwards he wanted Omobamidele's pace against Arsenal's quick forwards, but with a full week of training ahead at Colney does he stick with the same pair for the Hornets' crunch Carrow Road visit this Saturday?
Kabak's second half appearance for Turkey last week was his first competitive minutes since April, after injury curtailed his Liverpool loan stint. But the on-loan Schalke defender is highly-rated and has been recruited to boost City's Premier League survival mission.
Farke, however, made it clear at his pre-match press call he will not blood the 21-year-old until he feels he is ready.
Gibson's successful season-long loan spell from Burnley became an £8m permanent move on promotion back to the Premier League. But the experienced defender had to come back from an ankle injury to feature in a difficult start against the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City.
Hanley was another who endured a disrupted pre-season after injuring his hamstring for Scotland at Euro2020 and then contracting Covid. But the Scot has been an ever-present for club and country this campaign so far.
Christoph Zimmermann picked up an ankle injury in the build up to Arsenal and until Farke gives him the all clear is not included in the list of options for Watford's pending visit.
Farke toyed with a defensive three in pre-season but on the basis of his Premier League set up thus far we are after options to play in a central two.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 3 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 4 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 5 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 10 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
Cast your vote in the poll above, and feel free to add your comments below.