FA Cup dream is over for Ben Godfrey and Carlton Morris after plucky West Ham extra-time defeat

Ben Godfrey bowed out of the FA Cup with Shrewsbury Town at West Ham on Tuesday night. Picture: Paul

Ben Godfrey bowed out of the FA Cup with Shrewsbury Town at West Ham on Tuesday night. Picture: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images - Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

The FA Cup dream is over for Norwich City loan pair Ben Godfrey and Carlton Morris after Shrewsbury were beaten in a third round replay at West Ham on Tuesday night.

Reece Burke scored his first goal for West Ham in the second half of extra-time as the Premier League side edged out League One Shrews. The 21-year-old broke the deadlock in the 112th minute with a half-volley which went in via the underside of the bar.

West Ham twice had efforts cleared off the line in the first half of extra-time, having been pushed all the way by the League One promotion chasers.

Godfrey – such an impressive performer when the teams drew 0-0 in Shropshire – started the game and played the full 120 minutes while striker Morris came on six minutes from the end of normal time. The pair have been with Shrewsbury since the start of the season and have helped the club to second place in League One.

Shrewsbury had the best chance of the opening 90 minutes when Stefan Payne was denied by a superb save by former Shrewsbury goalkeeper Joe Hart.

But Shrewsbury did not look out of place in the first 45 minutes. Manuel Lanzini's free-kick after 38 minutes, which was saved by visiting goalkeeper Dean Henderson, was the best the home side could muster.

The Hammers improved in the second half, but it was Shrewsbury who came close to opening the scoring just after the hour mark as Payne was denied by Hart.

Most Read

Marko Arnautovic's introduction with just over 20 minutes of normal time remaining handed West Ham a new dimension and the Austrian created a string of chances inside the final 10 minutes. But neither side was able to make a breakthrough in the 90 minutes.

The under-dogs were tiring and, now wasting time at every possible moment, seemingly happy to settle for penalties but their hopes were dashed eight minutes from the end. After failing to clear t eir lines, the ball landed for Burke 12 yards out and he banged the ball sweetly off the underside of the crossbar and into the net. West Ham were relieved to hear the final whistle blow. They no face either Wigan or Bournemouth.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter