WATCH: Gary Rowett lays into ‘diver’ James Maddison
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Gary Rowett warned James Maddison to cut out the diving in a touchline spat during Norwich City's spicy 1-1 Championship draw at Derby County.
The Rams' chief was incensed at what he felt was a dive from the City midfielder in a first half flashpoint involving home keeper Scott Carson that eventually earned the visitors a penalty.
Nelson Oliveira's spot kick was saved by Carson, after the assistant referee adjudged he had felled Maddison when the referee initially awarded a corner.
The England Under-21 international slotted a second half penalty to earn a point, before becoming embroiled in a verbal confrontation with Rowett when he was substituted.
'I did offer him one or two words of advice when he came off,' said Rowett. 'He asked me, 'show me a clip where I dived' and I said, 'I can show you more than one'. The thing is he is a young talented player so I don't want to make it all about him.
You may also want to watch:
'The clear fact is I felt he enticed the contact.
MORE: Have your say on our Pinkun forum'There was another example in the first half where I thought it happened and it was too easy to go to ground.
'If it was one of my players I would be saying exactly the same thing. It makes it difficult for the officials. We had one recently against Bristol City where Cameron Jerome was clearly fouled and the flip side is when the arms go up and you get a decision.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 5 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 6 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 9 Dad uses son's ashes in a tattoo on his leg
- 10 Man dumped rubbish at beauty spot after he 'forgot to put his bins out'
'We have been on both sides. I am not complaining. I am just trying to be honest.
'I felt he enticed the contact and that is not something you need to do when you have so much ability.'
• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Group Football Editor Paddy Davitt on the following channels…