Canaries defender Smith helps deliver baby daughter
Norwich City defender Steve Smith has proved his versatility as a super sub - after stepping in for the midwife and helping deliver his second child.
The 25-year-old was happily watching football on the TV at their Norwich home when partner Claire complained of feeling unwell.
It was then that Smith threw himself in to the fray - and after a 10-minute cameo appearance, Claire gave birth to a baby girl.
'It all happened that quick,' said Smith yesterday. 'I basically helped deliver the head and shoulders and then the ambulance came and the paramedic did the rest - I'm thankful they came when they did.
'We didn't have time to think about it - it all happened so quick. They're all doing fine, my partner's in the house and my baby's in the house so everything is well.'
The couple - who have been together for seven years - have a two-year-old son, Ashton, although Smith admitted nothing could prepare for what lay in wait.
'We've got a little one so I have seen bits and pieces, but obviously I didn't know enough to get into too much detail, but I'm glad the paramedics came when they did.
- 1 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 2 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 3 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 4 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 5 New headteacher appointed at village high school
- 6 Plans for 13 new homes near historic former railway line
- 7 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 8 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 Some of the best pictures from day two of the Royal Norfolk Show