Canaries defender Smith helps deliver baby daughter
Norwich City defender Steve Smith has proved his versatility as a super sub - after stepping in for the midwife and helping deliver his second child.
The 25-year-old was happily watching football on the TV at their Norwich home when partner Claire complained of feeling unwell.
It was then that Smith threw himself in to the fray - and after a 10-minute cameo appearance, Claire gave birth to a baby girl.
'It all happened that quick,' said Smith yesterday. 'I basically helped deliver the head and shoulders and then the ambulance came and the paramedic did the rest - I'm thankful they came when they did.
'We didn't have time to think about it - it all happened so quick. They're all doing fine, my partner's in the house and my baby's in the house so everything is well.'
You may also want to watch:
The couple - who have been together for seven years - have a two-year-old son, Ashton, although Smith admitted nothing could prepare for what lay in wait.
'We've got a little one so I have seen bits and pieces, but obviously I didn't know enough to get into too much detail, but I'm glad the paramedics came when they did.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 8 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 9 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea