Canaries begin finishing touches to legends squad as trio sign up to face Inter
- Credit: Archant
The finishing touches are being applied to the Norwich City Legends squad as kick-off against Inter Forever looms ever closer.
Former Canaries defender Darren Kenton and goalkeepers Scott Howie and Mark Walton bolster a squad which already includes the likes of Chris Sutton, Darren Eadie and Grant Holt for the game on Sunday, May 20.
City's legends will take on an Inter Milan squad including Jurgen Klinsmann and Francesco Toldo at Carrow Road to raise money for the Community Sports Foundation's new hub, The Nest, and mark the approaching 25-year anniversary of the club's Uefa Cup adventure.
Kenton made 175 appearances between 1997 and 2003 before joining Southampton on a free transfer but saw injuries hamper his career, with spells at clubs including Leicester and Leeds.
'My ankle is pretty messed up so I can't run around too much but it'll be great to be playing with some of these great players, like Daryl Sutch and Darren Eadie who were first team guys when I was in the youth teams,' said Kenton, now aged 39 and coaching the Canaries' under-13s.
'We would always come and watch their games, so to be able to play with them now after our careers have ended is really nice.'
Howie made two appearances for City but was on the bench for all six Uefa Cup games during 1993-94, Walton played in 28 games between 1989 and 1992, both covering Bryan Gunn.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 5 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 6 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 7 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 8 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 9 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 10 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
'It was a fantastic time for the club and an exciting time to be here,' added Howie, who still lives locally and works as a tax consultant for footballers, playing – mostly in midfield – alongside the likes of Darren Huckerby and Matt Gill for Cringleford Vets.
'I wasn't at Norwich long but it happened to coincide with the Uefa Cup run, so it was a great group of individuals.'
Norwich City Legends: Bryan Gunn, Darren Huckerby, Adam Drury, Chris Sutton, Spencer Prior, Gary Holt, Darren Eadie, Lee Croft, Iwan Roberts, Grant Holt, Mark Bowen, Rob Newman, Daryl Sutch, Youssef Safri, Paul McVeigh, Robert Ullathorne, John Polston, Phil Mulryne, Andy Marshall, Darren Kenton, Scott Howie, Mark Walton
Inter Forever: Jurgen Klinsmann, Javier Zanetti, Nicola Berti, Maicon, Marco Materazzi, Giogos Karagounis, Francesco Colonnese, Massimo Paganin, Giuseppe Baresi, Alessandro Bianchi, Francesco Toldo
• Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s and are available at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.
• Find out more information about the Build the Nest campaign at thenest.org.uk
• For all the players announced for the game, see our Build The Nest section