Birmingham City goalkeeping coach Dave Watson joins Norwich City
Norwich City have confirmed the arrival of current England goalkeeping coach Dave Watson to Chris Hughton's backroom staff at Carrow Road.
Watson arrives from Birmingham City with a wealth of experience and reunites with new City boss Chris Hughton, Colin Calderwood and Paul Trollope after a successful stint together with the Blues last season.
Norwich City have agreed a compensation deal with Birmingham for Watson's services and he will arrive at Colney for the start of pre-season training next week.
The former Barnsley goalkeeper joined Alex McLeish's Blues in January 2008 from Nottingham Forest coaching the likes of Joe Hart and Ben Foster.
Former England Under-21 international Watson was brought in by Roy Hodgson in May to work with Ray Clemence during the European Championship finals.
You may also want to watch:
He has just returned from Euro 2012 coaching duty with England. Whether he continues his role with Roy Hodgson and the national team remains to be seen.
Watson said: 'I'm eternally grateful to Birmingham City for giving me the opportunity to come to the club four and a half years ago and I will leave with plenty of good memories.
- 1 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 2 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 3 Man and woman found dead in home
- 4 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 5 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 6 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 7 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 8 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 10 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
'Having worked in the Premier League previously and having been involved with the England set-up during the summer, I knew that the opportunity to work in the top flight again was something that I just couldn't turn down.
'Norwich is a fantastic club and everyone sold it to me very easily. We've got a one-year-old son so the city and the area appeals to me and the chance to work in the Premier League for such a good club obviously.
'Through my time with England I've already worked with John Ruddy and Jed Steer and I know a lot about Declan Rudd by reputation, so I can't wait to start working with them.'
City manager Chris Hughton said: 'I'm delighted to have brought Dave here to the football club. He's someone I was aware of before I joined Birmingham and having had the opportunity to work with him last year it was no surprise to me that England wanted to involve him.
'He's someone I have been keen to bring here with us since the moment I joined so it's pleasing to have agreed things and now he can start work with the rest of us on Monday.'