Alex Tettey injury marrs Norwich City’s comeback in a 1-1 Championship draw at Barnsley

Oliver McBurnie opens the scoring for Barbsley on the stroke of half-time.

Oliver McBurnie opens the scoring for Barbsley on the stroke of half-time. - Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

Alex Tettey's bloodied foot injury marred City's battling Championship fightback against Barnsley at Oakwell on Tuesday night.

Tettey was stretchered off in the 80th minute after collapsing to the turf just outside his own penalty box in a collision with his own team mate, James Husband. The Norwegian was able to climb onto a stretcher but was clearly in pain as head coach Daniel Farke consoled him as he left the field.

Ollie McBurnie notched his sixth goal in the last seven games to put the Tykes ahead when he guided Andy Yiadom's cross past Angus Gunn in the final minute of first half.

But Josh Murphy dragged the Canaries on level terms in the 72nd minute when he slotted Husband's low cross.

Husband was one of five changes made by Farke from the line up that lost 4-3 at Hull on Saturday. Christoph Zimmermann was passed fit after a sickness bug and Tettey was also a surprise starter after Farke hinted on Monday he would not risk the midfielder who was a booking away from a two-game ban.

Norwich were looking to hit on the counter from the off and Liam Lindsay was rightly booked in the 14th minute for tugging back at Murphy's shirt as the attacker moved through the gears.

Murphy accelerated into enemy territory later in the half but the promising move ended when he checked back inside and rolled a pass behind Maddison.

Most Read

City's creator-in-chief picked out Grant Hanley twice from corners prior to the interval but the big defender was unable to generate the power to trouble Adam Davies.

McBurnie got across the front of Zimmermann to guide an instinctive half-volley beyond Gunn seconds before the break.

Gunn then thwarted Moore early in the second period. Farke introduced Onel Hernandez and pushed Murphy wide in a bid to halt the Reds' growing belief.

The switch brought immediate dividends with Murphy whipped a dipping effort from a clever Maddison corner just wide of Davies' far post.

Murphy deserved his equaliser when he lashed Husband's low cross past Davies from the angle of the six yard box.

City surged forward in the aftermath with Vrancic tested the Barnsley stopper. But City's gathering momentum was halted in the 80th minute when Tettey went down on the edge of his own box.

A lengthy stoppage ensued before the Norwegian left the field on a stretcher to be replaced by Wes Hoolahan.

But City carved out a glorious chance to win the game deep into six minutes of added on time when Murphy skied over from seven yards.

• Barnsley: Davies, Yiadom, Jackson, Lindsay, Fryers, Gardner, Potts, Williams (Mallan 85), Moore, Thiam (Isgrove 61), McBurnie. Subs (not used): Townsend (GK), Bradshaw, Moncur, Cavare, Pearson.

• Goal: McBurnie (45)

• Bookings: Lindsay (foul on Murphy, 14); Gardner (foul on Vrancic, 75)

• Norwich City: Gunn, Pinto, Klose, Hanley, Zimmermann (Hernandez 56), Husband, Tettey (Hoolahan 80), Maddison, Vrancic, Murphy (Srbeny 90), Watkins. Subs (not used): McGovern (GK), Reed, Raggett, Lewis.

• Goal: Murphy (72)

• Booking: Vrancic (foul on McBurnie, 77)

• Time added on: 3 minutes / 6 minutes

• Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffs)

• For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Group Football Editor Paddy Davitt on the following channels…

Paddy Davitt on Twitter @paddyjdavittPaddy Davitt on Instagram @pj_davittPaddy Davitt on Periscope @paddyjdavitt