Aston Villa v Norwich City: Canaries have a rare opportunity for a successful trip to the Midlands
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Aston Villa v Norwich City
Villa Park, Saturday, 3pm
It's been quite pretty uobeat at Colney, but Villa boss Steve Bruce seems to be trying to paper over some cracks. It just isn't going well for him at Villa Park – there is already chatter that John Terry is being lined up to replace him in the hot-seat. Anyway, the record books show in the league, City have 18 wins over Villa, who have 25. There have been 15 draws. City's last 20 league visits have produced a meagre two wins. All opf which may be irrelevant this afternoon - it's just worht nothing, is all.
Aston Villa v City
(Championship, April 1, 2017)
- 1 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 2 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 3 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 4 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 5 Farmers call for Norfolk hosepipe ban
- 6 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 7 Firefighters battling forest blaze near Sandringham
- 8 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 9 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
- 10 Organisers of Norfolk festival 'gutted' after cancelling due to fire risk
A goal in each half by Jonathan Kodjia condemned Alan Irvine to defeat in his first match in charge following the departure of Alex Neil. Two yellow cards for Ivo Pinto didn't help matters as he left the field 10 minutes early, with the score 1-0 to Villa. 'At times this season away from home I have been really disappointed with our performances,' said Irvine, with some understatement. 'On this occasion I wasn't, as the team played really well.'
Villa: S Johnstone, A Hutton, J Chester, N Taylor, N Baker, M Jedinak, C Hourihane (G Gardner 69), H Lansbury (A Green 87), A Adomah, S Hogan (J Amavi 37), J Kodjia. Subs not used: J Grealish, J Bree, M Bunn, T Elphick.
Norwich: M McGovern, R Martin, S Whittaker, R Bennett, Ivo Pinto, G Dorrans (S Naismith 45), A Tettey (N Oliveira 76), J Murphy (Y Wildschut 71), A Pritchard, J Howson, C Jerome. Subs not used: J Maddison, J Murphy, J Ruddy, T Klose.
Referee: Jeremy Simpson
So, to today's game...
Referee: Jeremy Simpson. What a coincidence: Mr Simpson was in charge of this fixture last season. Sent off Ivo Pinto that day. Last time he officiated a match without showing a card was May 3, 2014. So expect a card.
Looks like being a nice day, albeit with a little bit of cloud.
Norwich win: 19/10
Villa win: 7/5
City: Jerome 6/1, Oliveira 13/2, Watkins 15/2, Naismith, Wildschutt, Murphy 9/1
Villa: Hogan 9/2, Agbonlahor 5/1, McCormack, O'Hare 6/1,
No scorer: 9/1
City to win 2-1 is 9/1; Villa to win 2-0 is 10/1.