Arsenal Reserves 4, Norwich City Reserves 2
Two penalties could not stop a young Norwich City Reserves going down 4-2 to 10-man Arsenal at London Colney on Tuesday afternoon.
The home side – featuring veteran goalkeeper Manuel Almunia, in-form striker Sanchez Watt and talented youngsters Emmanuel Frimpong and Craig Eastmond – raced into a 2-0 lead within the opening 10 minutes through Dutch midfielder Oguzhan Ozyakup.
City captain George Francomb saw his a free-kick tipped on to the crossbar by Almunia, before Watt made it three on 36 minutes.
Matt Ball reduced the arrears from the spot just before half-time, but Arsenal added a fourth in the 76th minute through Chuks Aneke.
Ddefender Daniel Boatang was sent off 10 minutes from time after an altercation, but Francomb's stoppage time penalty proved too late for City.
'We started the game really poorly,' Academy boss Ricky Martin told the club's official website. 'We made two individual mistakes and then they raced through one-one-one with Declan Rudd, who did really well but they managed to score.
'We then had a mountain to climb. Francomb hit the crossbar, and Almunia made a few saves so we were unlucky in that sense.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 9 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 10 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
'Then we found ourselves 3-0 down before we eventually got a breakthrough with a penalty and went in 3-1 at half-time.
'Jamar Loza and Reece Hall-Johnson were a real threat to the Arsenal back four all day today, which was pleasing.
'Arsenal had good possession, but they had it in their own half a lot of the time, and on two occasions we set up their chances. But hopefully it's something the players can learn from.
'The lads are progressing really well, and whilst the games are coming thick and fast, we're just hoping that we don't pick up any injuries.'
• Norwich City: Rudd, Barker, Toffolo, Brindley, Francomb (c), McKenzie, Florence (Dobbs, 68), Josh Murphy (Hall-Johnson, 18), Loza, Ball, Kelly. Subs not used: Clunan, Matthews, McFadden.
• Arsenal: Almunia (McDermott, 45), Yennaris, Hoyte (Meade, 24), Boateng, Angha, Eastmond, Frimpong (Ansah, 81), Aneke, Ozyakup, Freeman, Watt. Subs not used: Bihmoutine, Rees.