Andrew Surman faces decision about international future

Norwich City's South African-born midfielder Andrew Surman is in no rush to join the club's growing international set.

he 26-year-old turned down an approach from his homeland earlier this summer to play for the Bafana Bafana due to the demands of raising a young family.

Surman, however, has not ruled out featuring for the land of his birth after previously representing England at under 21 level.

The ex-Southampton and Wolves player has confirmed he was contacted by former national coach Pitso Mosimane following his impressive displays in City's successful Premier League campaign last season.

South Africa have made a solid start to 2014 World Cup qualifying and will also host the African Cup of Nations early in the New Year, but the Johannesburg-bred Surman has other priorities closer to home during the international shutdowns.

'I was approached to see if I was interested, but the club is my focus and I've got a young family, a three-year-old and a one-year-old,' he said. 'I think it would be a lot, especially with the African Nations Cup, to be travelling around the world. I was approached and I haven't ruled it out but it's just at this moment in time I don't think it's something I need in my life, though it was a great honour to be approached.

'It's something that needs to be put on the back burner a little bit, we've had a new manager coming in as well and I need to concentrate fully on my club football.'

Most Read

Surman was happy to agree a new Norwich deal in the summer in the wake of a managerial overhaul at Carrow Road - and the cultured midfielder believes Chris Hughton has engineered a seamless transition.

'It's been pretty easy to adapt,' he said. 'We have quite a lot of the players from last season anyway and there are not that many formations you can change. Everyone has played 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and 4-5-1, so whatever the manager comes in and does, we can slot in.

'He has freshened it up as well. It was disappointing to see the previous manager go, but he's come in and put his mark on things and stamped his authority and he's got the full respect of the players. The players he had here the last three years are a credit to the football club.'

Hughton has lost a total of eight members of his squad to international duty following last weekend's Tottenham league draw.

Striker Simeon Jackson faced the longest trip, with the Canadian heading back across the Atlantic for crucial 2014 World Cup qualifiers against Panama. Jackson is poised to spearhead the Canucks' frontline in Friday's Toronto home tie after impressing in the Canaries' recent back-to-back Premier League draws.

The 25-year-old is the only top flight representative in Stephen Hart's squad and the Canada coach believes Jackson's early-season form is a major plus.

'It's a confidence thing. Players go through phases in their games - especially those that depend on scoring goals – in which they need to be very confident,' he said. 'And what that does, is it brings them into the training camp in a good mood and with a certain amount of confidence. So it can only be healthy for us.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter