Alex Neil hails Norwich City’s ‘brilliant’ double act Gary O’Neil and Jonny Howson
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Gary O'Neil and Jonny Howson typified Norwich City's obstinate streak against Premier League heavyweights Manchester City.
The central midfield duo were more than a match for the visitors' array of creative talent in a duel that Alex Neil felt went a long way to underpinning the Canaries' battling point at Carrow Road.
'I thought the two of them were brilliant. They were the absolute stand-outs in our team,' said Neil. 'Gary used his experience and his game-management to slow things down. You see the incident where he gets a foul from (Raheem) Sterling late on in the bottom corner and only good, experienced professionals could do what he did there to relieve a bit of the pressure.
'I am not saying he has bought the foul but it was great, experienced play from him. Look at Jonny alongside him and his legs and energy gives us that drive from the middle of the park.'
Timm Klose served up another encouraging instalment to suggest he had adapted to the rigours of English football after a January switch from Wolfsburg.
'Timm is a good player and he has a fine pedigree,' said Neil. 'He came from a really high level and he has fitted into the group really well and he is doing everything he can.
'He was going to take a while to settle in but he has played Champions League for Wolfsburg so we have no worries about him. I thought he performed really well, particularly in the second half.'
- 1 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 2 46-cabin holiday park proposed for Norfolk countryside
- 3 Afternoon tea at Norwich tea room named one of best in UK
- 4 Dereham coach firm closes after more than 50 years in business
- 5 Three teenagers saved after inflatable gets blown out to sea
- 6 Pub plans store and Post Office after village's only shop closes
- 7 Delays ease on A47 near Dereham after four-vehicle crash
- 8 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after man made lewd comment
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 Richard Osman visits city shop while filming for BBC show