Alex Neil hails Norwich City’s ‘brilliant’ double act Gary O’Neil and Jonny Howson
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Gary O'Neil and Jonny Howson typified Norwich City's obstinate streak against Premier League heavyweights Manchester City.
The central midfield duo were more than a match for the visitors' array of creative talent in a duel that Alex Neil felt went a long way to underpinning the Canaries' battling point at Carrow Road.
'I thought the two of them were brilliant. They were the absolute stand-outs in our team,' said Neil. 'Gary used his experience and his game-management to slow things down. You see the incident where he gets a foul from (Raheem) Sterling late on in the bottom corner and only good, experienced professionals could do what he did there to relieve a bit of the pressure.
'I am not saying he has bought the foul but it was great, experienced play from him. Look at Jonny alongside him and his legs and energy gives us that drive from the middle of the park.'
Timm Klose served up another encouraging instalment to suggest he had adapted to the rigours of English football after a January switch from Wolfsburg.
You may also want to watch:
'Timm is a good player and he has a fine pedigree,' said Neil. 'He came from a really high level and he has fitted into the group really well and he is doing everything he can.
'He was going to take a while to settle in but he has played Champions League for Wolfsburg so we have no worries about him. I thought he performed really well, particularly in the second half.'
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses