Alex Neil frustrated by Timm Klose’s ‘naive’ injury call in Norwich City’s 2-2 FA Cup draw against Southampton

Steven Naismith is mobbed after his stoppage time FA Cup equaliser against Southampton.
Picture by

Steven Naismith is mobbed after his stoppage time FA Cup equaliser against Southampton. Picture by Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd - Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

Norwich City boss Alex Neil labelled Timm Klose's decision to leave the field of play for treatment on an Achilles injury as 'naïve' just prior to Southampton's second goal in a 2-2 FA Cup third round draw at Carrow Road.

Maya Yoshida rose unmarked to head home with Klose lying prone on the turf behind the goal after hobbling out of the action, with the game still in progress. The Swiss international briefly returned to the field before being substituted and the Canaries' now face an anxious wait to assess the extent of the injury.

Steven Naismith secured a replay with a stoppage time header after Steven Whittaker's earlier penalty had cancelled out Virgil van Dijk's first-half volley.

'The most frustrating thing was their second goal. Timm Klose gets injured but instead of going down on the pitch he goes off the pitch. That was a bit naïve,' said Neil. 'We had to literally defend the next few attacks without a left-sided centre back and they scored a goal from that area. He has had a knock and if you are struggling you would go down in the middle of the pitch. The physio would come on, there would be a break in play and we could make a decision regarding how he is and if we need to make a change. He decides to go off the pitch and the next minute we are defending for three minutes with Timm lying by the side of the pitch.

'Against Premier League opposition that is tough and the goal comes right from where he would be. That was really frustrating for us. He has took a kick on his Achilles but it is one of those we need 24 to 48 hours to make a decision on how bad it is. It looks like a kick and generally with those it is days rather than weeks.'

Neil praised his side's fighting spirit to hit back twice against Premier League opposition.

'We had peaks and troughs in the game,' he said. 'The first five minutes we didn't start particularly well. They moved it slickly but thereafter I thought we looked quite threatening and then our use of the ball wasn't good enough. They forced us back just before half-time. We didn't pick up enough second balls and we conceded in that spell. We had a chat at half-time and we could have matched them up. They had a diamond in the middle but I felt if we did it might become a stalemate and with us trailing we had to open up the game. I thought once we scored we dropped off the game, which was a bit frustrating, because I wanted us to be a lot more aggressive.'

Most Read