Alex Neil brushes off criticism at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil accepts he has gone from flavour of the month to having his judgement questioned as Norwich City manager.
City aim to get back to winning ways in the Championship on Saturday at Brighton after dropping points against Fulham and Preston before squandering a chance to reach the EFL Cup quarter-finals.
The manner of Norwich's midweek penalty shoot-out exit at Leeds triggered a predictably adverse reaction, but Neil will stick to his guns.
'It is funny, you get manager-of-the-month last month and then have two or three poor results and everything flips on its head,' he said. 'I am certainly not aware of any backlash. It is interesting I get that award and we won seven out of eight games and now some people question what we are doing. If I am being honest I won't lose any sleep over it.
'After the week we have had it has been fine margins. We get punished against Fulham for some sloppiness, Preston I have watched it back and we had more chances than them even though we didn't play as well as we can and Leeds we perform well but make two crucial mistakes and get beaten on penalties. We just need to make sure we get back to what we are good at.'
Neil insists there were positives from a much-changed line up at Leeds.
'What we have to do and what we always do is take the performance and the result and treat as two separate issues,' he said. 'Obviously the result is the most important thing but I thought the performance merited going through. That is why it was difficult for me to be critical with them. What I can be critical about is individual errors. It is a bit different if it's the same team that performed against Fulham and Preston and then that frustration, combining all three games, would boil over a bit.'
- 1 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 2 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 3 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 4 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 5 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 6 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 7 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 8 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 9 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 10 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs