Norwich and District Sunday League roundup: William Rovers end Bungay’s perfect record

Despite an overnight frost, it was good to see that most games in the league went ahead with some clubs even delaying the kick-off to get the game played. Unfortunately though, three games were still called off before 9am and in two of these cases the pitches were found to be perfectly playable by 10.30am.

In the Premier Division, leaders The Grove were 4-1 winners at Hellesdon Athletic, a result that sees them twelve points clear of Dog House who moved up to second spot courtesy of a 3-2 victory at Norwich Busmen.

There was a setback for 1A title chasers Fiveways as they went down 4-3 at Norman Wanderers. Second placed Dussingdale Rovers didn't take full advantage though, as they were held to a goalless draw at Eaton FC. Vale Longo are back up to third spot after a 4-1 home win over The Castlegate and North Walsham's 5-1 defeat of The Otter sees them up to fourth. Sprowston Rovers were given a scare by bottom side Spixworth but eventually won 4-3 to move fourteen points clear of Bayer who were in cup action and have four games in hand. Prince of Denmark again lost ground as they went down 3-2 at home to Norfolk CCSC. There was a nine goal thriller at Haig FC where visitors Earlham United scored five (Damon Brown 2, Marcus Gee 2, Thomas Blanch) and there was a good 4-1 away win for Sprowston Wanderers at Rose Tavern.

!n 2A, leaders Hockering scored seven without reply as they beat Rackheath Green Man and are now ahead of The Stores who moved into second spot as goals by Marc Howard, Shaun Plant and Simon Ward gave them a 3-1 win at The Griffen. Sprowston Sunday are in fourth spot with games in hand after a 3-0 win at Norman Wanderers Reserves, whilst Bobby Cott, Thomas Cullum, Justin Cameron and Liam Kane all scored for Stoke FC as they won 4-0 at home to Acle Wanderers.

In 2B, PL Rangers admit to being outplayed for an hour at home to Acle Rangers Reserves, but a Jordan Rocastle goal, his 200th for the club, earned them a point. Tom Whitmore scored twice as Heartsease FC won 2-1 at Ribs Rovers, and Maid Marian dominated the first twenty minutes at Poringland, taking the lead when a Clive Riches shot was diverted into his own net by Jonny Causton. The Poringland player made amends at the start of the second half when he scored with a header and a free kick to put the home side in front, but goals by Scott Laxton, Clive Riches and Nick Parker, with the last kick of the game, sealed the points for the visitors. Hingham grabbed their first win in a while, 2-1 at Hethersett Athletic, whilst Sporting Farmhouse and Hillside OB drew 2-2.

You may also want to watch:

There was a wakeup call for 3A leaders New Buckenham as they were thumped 5-1 at Hellesdon Reserves. They now lead on goal difference from Riverside Rovers who were 3-1 winners at Mad Moose and have two games in hand. Dancing Farmers kept in touch at the top, beating The Reindeer 4-1 and Sporting Longdale were 5-2 winners at River Garden. Liam Frost grabbed a hat trick and Alan Taylor added a fourth as Constable Crusaders won by the odd goal of seven against Newsman Celtic.

In 3B One Love United extended their lead at the top after putting eight past Freethorpe. Third placed Briston Wanderers beat Sloughbottom Revolution 3-2, Bell Inn won 3-2 at DEF FC and Unicorns Reserves were 3-2 winners over Taverham United. It was a bad day for The Gordon as they went down 6-2 at home to Aylsham Sunday Reserves.

Most Read

For the second week running, the honour of result of the day goes to William Rovers. After gaining their first points and win of the season last week, the division's bottom side ended the 100% record of 4A league leaders Bungay Town by thumping them 5-0. The goals came from Josh Allen (3), Brett Macey and Michael Hall. It's also been a good week for Temples Property. After reaching the Junior Cup semi-final last week, they have quietly moved into second spot after a 3-0 win over Eaton Young Boys. Phoenix Felthorpe were 4-2 winners over Hockering Reserves and Whiterose United won 3-1 at Earlham Colney. Sporting Longdale Reserves found themselves 3-0 down at half time at home to Temple Bar, however a second half Stewart Halton hat trick ensured the match ended in a draw.

In 4B, Schoolhouse took advantage of William Wanderers' inactivity to close the gap at the top as they beat Windmill Elite 3-1, but one time leaders Drayton slipped to another defeat. Despite a brace each for Tom Frost and Sam Lincoln, Costessey Sports came from 4-2 down to win 5-4. Hethersett Reserves pulled further away from the basement after winning 3-1 at Wendene.

The one outstanding fixture in the first round of the League Cup saw Marlborough beat Bayer FC on penalties after the game finished 2-2 aet, whilst in the County Sunday Senior Cup replay, AFC Wanderers came from 2-1 down to beat Acle Rangers 4-2 thanks to a pair each for Luke Tuttle and Scott Sell. Their reward is a semi-final trip to Camden of Yarmouth.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter