Norwich 37, Wanstead 26
This Division 3NE match was a cracking game, with both sides playing attacking rugby which was a pleasure to watch.
Norwich had the better of the early exchanges but when Wanstead broke out of defence it was only good defending that prevented the visitors from taking an early lead.
As it was it was Norwich who opened the scoring with a simple penalty kicked by scrum-half JC Brown after 10 minutes.
Wanstead were constantly trying to attack and after 23 minutes it was no surprise when they levelled with a penalty of their own from fly-half Tom Morgan.
From the kick off Wanstead moved the ball wide and centre Chris Luxmore went over under the posts for Morgan to add the points. This was sloppy defence from Norwich and they paid for it. With the first half coming to a close the visitors increased their lead with a penalty from Morgan despite being a man down when No 7 Alan Geary was sin-binned for pulling down a maul.
Norwich responded with a great try from centre Scott Hancocks who raced over after a splendid driving maul from the forwards. Brown added the conversion to reduce the arrears. However before the half-time whistle Norwich blind side flanker Lawrence Austin was sin binned and Morgan duly kicked the resulting penalty to give Wanstead a 16-10 lead at the interval.
Norwich scored in the first minute of the second half after a great break by man of the match Dougie Greenwood when they were awarded a penalty near the posts which Brown duly converted. However Wanstead came back and were awarded a penalty which Morgan converted to give them a 19-13 lead.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 5 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot could be lodged 'in next couple of months'
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 9 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 10 Flood alerts pass off peacefully along the north Norfolk coast
This seemed to spur Norwich into action and they scored two great tries within minutes of each other. The first, one of the best seen at Beeston Hyrne for some time, was as a result of another break by Greenwood and a great offload to winger Jordi Walker who went over under the posts for Brown to add the conversion. The second came after the forwards won great ball from a line-out and drove forward to release the backs and Hancocks went over for his second try.
However Wanstead were not beaten yet. They came back at Norwich and with 20 minutes to go had plenty to play for. When Norwich second row Gareth Leake was yellow carded from the resulting penalty they opted for a scrum and Norwich conceded a penalty try after being penalised at three successive five metre scrums. Morgan added the conversion to give them the lead by one point.
In the last quarter Norwich wrapped up the game with two more fine tries by full back Jon Wheater, converted by Brown. And with time ticking away Toby Neal finished off a flowing move from the backs to score in the corner. Brown could not convert but Norwich had already got the bonus point to complete a very satisfactory afternoon.