Norwich 12, Wymondham 15

Wymondham thoroughly deserved this win at a windy Beeston Hyrne.

Norwich played with the wind slightly in their favour in the first half on Saturday but at the end of the day the elements played little part in the result.

Norwich started well, putting their opponents under pressure from the kick-off, but were unable to capitalise.Wymondham relieved the pressure but Norwich responded with a great break by skipper Jonny Wheater, playing at full back, which was well supported by winger Calum Macauley. He was tackled short of the line but Wheater was there to take the ball over and touch down to give Norwich the early lead. The try was not converted.

There then followed a very ordinary spell in the game with neither side able to finish chances which they were both creating, Wymondham in particular ignoring overlaps on the left which with better passing would surely have brought tries. As it was after the referee had dished out three yellow cards, two against Wymondham for killing the ball and one against Josh Ives, the Norwich scrum-half, it was the visitors who equalised with a well taken try by centre Pena Sokia after a loose Norwich kick out of defence, again not converted.

Wymondham stepped up the pace and were well worth their lead at half time as full back Stephen Sims, filling in at fly-half, made a telling break to score near the posts. He had no trouble in adding the conversion to give the visitors a seven-point cushion at the break.

You may also want to watch:

They were unlucky not to increase the lead just after half time when Sims went wide with a straightforward penalty. Norwich hit back straight away with a period of pressure which saw prop Aaron Swanborough go over from a rolling maul and fly-half Rob Micklethwaite add the conversion to level the scores.

At this point it was anybody's game but Wymondham seemed to want it more than Norwich.

Most Read

The game became a dog fight and it was no surprise when Sims kicked the visitors into the lead with a well struck penalty after 22 minutes of the half, a lead they never relinquished despite the odd Norwich flurry which normally petered out through poor retention. Both sides were guilty of coughing up possession but once Norwich started to chase the game there was a certain inevitability about the result and it was Wymondham who came away with the spoils and the points.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter