North West Norfolk League round-up: Gayton United ease into last four with games to spare

Cup action took centre stage in the North West Norfolk League at the weekend, with Gayton United securing their place in the Division One semi-finals with two group games still to play thanks to a 3-1 win against South Creake.

Creake's goal came from a Kev Clipston penalty while the man of the match was Luke Goss. There were also wins for Heacham and Lynn North End.

In Division Two William Burt beat Hunstanton 4-0 thanks to some superb performances from Johnny Senter and Tommy Littlewood, though the man of the match was Lee Woodcock.

Lynn Napier, Discovery Royals and Riverside complete the semi-final line-up after good wins for all three.

In Division Three the scoreline of the day was Birchwood 8 Greyfriars 3. It looked like an early exit for Birchwood when they fell two behind in the first 15 minutes, but the home side fought back, starting with Jordan MaClean's first goal for the club. Rowan Smith made it 2-2 after 30 minutes and Andrew Wood added two more before half-time.

A triple substitution by Birchwood saw Ben English, Brad Wilson and Aaron Reeve come on and it was plain sailing for the home side from then on. Wood completed his hat-trick, English added another and Wilson scored twice in the last five minutes. Greyfriars got a third but it was too late. There was praise for referee Simon Peach, who kept the game flowing.

There were also wins for Heacham Reserves, Gayton United Reserves and Redgate Rangers Reserves.

Most Read

In Division Three league action it was top against third when Lynn Williams travelled to Gaywood – and they couldn't be separated in an excellent 0-0. Carl Muffett and Steven Hornigold were men of the match for Lynn Williams.

The Division Four semi-finals will include four of the top five in the league as Lynn Napier Reserves, East Winch and Snettisham all won.

In the other game Tilney beat Great Massingham Reserves 5-1. Tilney took the lead in the first half with Luke's Girling in-swinging corner nodded home at the rear post by Stephen De'Ath. A second goal followed from a Luke Girling free-kick, finished by Ben Halliday.

Massingham threw everything at Tilney in an attempt to get back in the game and replied from a second half penalty. But Tilney then kicked into second gear, passing the ball well from front to back and soon regained their two goal cushion through Ben Halliday, who finished the day with a well deserved brace, Julian Faulkner and an own goal rounding off a very good team performance.

Tilney FC man of the match was Luke Girling, though there was also a special mention for referee Ian Holmes.