North Walsham improve after break - but the damage had already been done

Tom Browes scored one of North Walsham's two second half consolation tries. Picture: Hywel Jones

Tom Browes scored one of North Walsham's two second half consolation tries. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Archant

North Walsham were well beaten by early pacesetters Chingford in their first away game of the season in London One North.

The Vikings gave away four tries in a one-sided first half but came back strongly in the second period with two touchdowns against one.

Chingford were on the scoreboard within four minutes through wing Tom Lowry. Home full back Josh Porter then was held up over the line before Lowry went over for his second try on 10 minutes. Superior upper body strength and faster line speed served the hosts well in gaining possession, despite the Vikings performing well at the set-piece.

Lock Reece Miller took the third home score, converted by Scott Meakin, before Jake Duffield hit a penalty for Walsham.

Chingford tied down any Viking advance with accomplished tactical kicking out of hand as David Duffus got the fourth try before the half hour. Walsham No 8 Will Hodgson then left the field with an arm injury to be replaced by Lachlan Brown-Bates.

You may also want to watch:

Chingford advanced over the gain line repeatedly and Scott Meakin added two penalties before the interval to leave the Vikings 33-3 adrift at half-time.

Will Smart replaced Tom Knight on the flank, Dan Smith came on in the centre and James Knight moved to outside half as the visitors upped their performance.

Most Read

James Riley had a couple of long runs on the wing and Max Ross and Ryan Oakes kept the lineout ticking over as James Knight got his line moving. Meakin converted another penalty for Chingford, before Hal Riley went in under the crossbar for Knight to convert.

Chalk Hill Brewery man-of-the-match Brown-Bates was making good yards and Tom Browes crowned a good game with a try, which Knight couldn't convert. David Banfield replied with a converted try before a kick ahead by James Riley went dead and Tim Weber came off with an injury.

Head of Rugby James Brooks was frustrated to come away with nothing. He felt his side did not manage the game well, with not enough physicality early on, by which time the damage was done.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus