North Walsham 69, Wymondham 6

Free of the worry of their relegation fight, the Vikings eased their way into the final of the Woodforde's Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday.

In contrast to the somewhat stuttering midweek performance against West Norfolk this was a much more fluent display and once Walsham had established a decent half-time lead the ball carrying and support running was at times a joy to watch.

The visitors were somewhat below full strength, missing the influential Pena Sokia, while Walsham were pretty close to their regular line-up but missing Jamie Burroughs and Stuart Loose.

Walsham were first on the scoreboard when Jake Harris slotted a long range penalty but the lead was wiped out three minutes later when Steven Simms equalised.

Walsham lost Chris Godwin to the sinbin from the restart when he was deemed to have taken the ball catcher in the air. Wymondham were unable to capitalise on the extra man but could have gone ahead when flanker Richie Howlett broke through but lost his footing when clear.

You may also want to watch:

Both Walsham props had a hand in the first try. Dom Roberts took a high clearance in his own half, sending Barry Frost away and Tim Weber made good ground before Frost retook possession to score, Harris adding what was to be the first of eight conversions.

Simms pulled three points back but from the restart Jack Hoyles ran straight back on a defence splitting run to score and a few minutes later staged almost an exact repeat with hardly a hand being laid on him.

Most Read

Wymondham had their chances, Soul Phoenix bursting through on to a pass but knocking on, and when they had scrum five metres from the line the ball came to centre Barry O'Sullivan who looked odds on to score but his former Norwich teammate Ewan Wilson flew off the line to drive him backwards.

With a 16 point half-time lead Walsham were quickly out of the blocks and within seven minutes of the restart they had two more tries on the bag. First they took a scrum against the head and Tom Coller got to within a couple of metres before popping the ball to Chris Kent to complete the move and then Leon Davies took the restart ball and sent Lee Sandberg off on a long run, crossing next to the posts.

Nick Greenhall made changes, Henry Dewing replacing Sandberg while Adie Ball, returning from injury, took over from van Vuuren.

Wymondham had a good spell, working hard to hold their line, but as they visibly tired Walsham ran riot and in the final quarter crossed the line five more times. After some fine interpassing Jake Harris touched down twice to take his personal points total to 29. Rhys Davies-Horne, on for Hoyles, ghosted in, Roberts capped a fine performance with a 25 metre run in from the restart and right at the death Tom Coller made good ground before handing on to Dewing for the final try.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter