North Walsham 66, Stowmarket 0

Freddie Henley-Hunter touches down for North Walsham at Scottow on Saturday.

Freddie Henley-Hunter touches down for North Walsham at Scottow on Saturday. - Credit: Archant

For the third time this season North Walsham beat Stowmarket without conceding a point to stay at the top of London 2NE.

The Vikings scored at the rate of a point a minute until half-time, and by the end of the match had amassed 10 tries, seven of these from the forwards, with eight different players crossing the line. They were helped by 16 points from the boot of Henry Dewing.

Coach Nick Greenhall told his players to be adventurous and so they were, spurning kicks at goal in favour of field position.

Tight head Tim Mason touched down within six minutes, Dewing converting, before Alex Graf-Grote put Chris Godwin away for the second. Stowmarket scrum half Chris Jones was first to the ball to prevent the next try, before Walsham captain Andy Tibbatts crossed and Dewing's conversion made it three out of three.

Tom Coller was getting to the breakdown first and was again peerless in the line-out, with accurate throws from Dan Goodrich and support from Ben Campbell.

Stowmarket lock Jack Hewett was in the sin bin when Chris Kent claimed a pushover try, the conversion this time going awry. Harry Downing would have scored next, but the pass from Dewing was forward.

Kent took a second try, after a 20 metre dash, which Dewing converted, before Keith Fowles came on for Mason in the front row. Freddie Henley-Hunter then beat his man to score just before half-time, Dewing adding the extras.

Most Read

The second half opened with Matt Oakes hooking, and Matty Norfolk-Clarke slotting in well at outside centre. Shane van Vuuren continued to probe for openings before James Knight powered in for the next goal. Jon Younie, in the line from full back, went over next, the latter conversion attempt falling just short.

Then it was the turn of Walsham No 5 Danny Berghan to cross the whitewash, before Godwin claimed the tenth, and his second. Dewing crowned a glorious afternoon with a splendid conversion from out wide.

Next Saturday sees the rearranged home league fixture at Scottow against bottom side Stevenage Town.

North Walsham had to work hard for a 42-14 win against a determined West Norfolk II side who had them pinned at 14 points all at half-time.

But executing the game plan beautifully in the second half the forwards dominated and for once took the try scoring honours.

Replacement hooker Mark McCall crossed the stripe three times and flanker Gerald Hegarty twice. The other try came from outside half Billy Graham-Park who also added one conversion, five other conversions coming from Conor Tovee-Galey.