Norfolk youngsters miss out in County Youth Cup
Norfolk 2 Kent 3
Norfolk U18s were knocked out in the second round of this season's FA County Youth Cup, after being edged 3-2 by Kent at the FDC.
This national competition always seems to bring the best out of young players and this game was no different.
The score was level at 1-1 at the break, after two goals in quick succession as the half-time whistle neared. Toby Hilliard's neat finish from 18 yards had put Norfolk ahead, only for Kent's Dan Parkinson to level matters from a similar distance two minutes later.
The goals continued to flow after the re-start. Norfolk were caught napping two minutes in from a corner, when Parkinson prodded home his second of the game after the ball had come back off the crossbar.
Then, less than 10 minutes later, Kent capitalised from a corner again, this time Lee Pleau nodding home to give the visitors a 3-1 advantage.
Norfolk rallied and pulled a goal back from the penalty spot before the hour mark, through captain Shaun Stocker.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 4 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 5 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 6 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 7 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk
However, after Stocker's lifeline there weren't too many clear-cut chances for Norfolk to force extra-time, with Kent defending their lead well and seeing the game out.
Norfolk: Jake Cox, Chris Greenslade, Frazer Blake-Tracey, Mac Gee, Gabriel Mansbridge, Jack Houghton, Nathan Russell, Lewis Gibson, Liam Upton, Toby Hilliard, Shaun Stocker (capt). Subs: Elliot Wesby, Bradley Stewart, Jack Frohawk, Jack Guyton, Jordan Tipple.