Norfolk youngsters enjoy their big opportunity at the home of Leicester Tigers
- Credit: Tiger Images
Youngsters from four Norfolk clubs have had the chance to play at the home of Aviva Premiership giants Leicester Tigers.
Diss, Holt, North Walsham and Norwich all had under-10 teams competing in the Prima Tiger Cup at Welford Road, home of the 10-time English champions.
Taking to the field after Tigers had beaten Gloucester 26-24 in the Anglo-Welsh Cup – with former Holt junior Harry Simmons making his debut – earlier this month, the Norfolk youngsters then took part in the annual competition.
Holt coach Dean Fusser said: 'It has been absolutely fantastic, everyone has thoroughly enjoyed themselves and they've all got smiles on their faces.
'The kids have been completely blown away by playing on the pitch under the lights here, it has been wonderful. 'All the staff have been brilliant and we are so impressed by the way in which we have been looked after.'
You may also want to watch:
The Prima Tiger Cup, sponsored by Prima Solutions of Loughborough, is enjoying its biggest-ever season with more than 70 teams entering the first round stage, played over festivals in Norfolk, Staffordshire, Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire.
Norwich coach Mark Loved said: 'It has been great fun. It's lovely to be in this kind of environment with the core values of the game included, in particular the sportsmanship. It has been a lovely experience.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
- 10 Man who felt lonely caught drink-driving, court hears
'They've all thoroughly enjoyed it, it really is the whole package and it brings the whole squad together and is really inclusive which is one of the good things about our lovely game.'
The competition has been run since 1995, with North Walsham winning it in 2004. Richard Holton, coach at North Walsham, continued: 'It's their first experience of Welford Road and they get the chance to play here which is brilliant. The kids have been excited all week and it's been such a great day, all amazingly organised.'
Diss have also previously won the competition, in 2005. Diss coach, Paul Lewis, added: 'Today has been amazing and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for these kids. It has been a really well organised event and for many it was their first time ever at Welford Road and what an experience it has been.'