Norfolk youngsters come away with a hard earned victory
Having fought through torrential rain and hazardous driving conditions to reach their opponents in Wellingborough, Norfolk's young third team continued their battle on court to achieve an 8-7 victory over Northants' second team.
Norfolk were faced with a very cold hall and only one playable court following a roof leak which meant one court was out of action.
With a late start and a long afternoon ahead of them it didn't look good. However having started their season with a 15-0 loss, the team seemed intent to make amends. Sam Dismore opened the match with the team's first ever win, closely followed by victory for Tom Hinks.
The girls were less fortunate in their singles but made up for it in the doubles, winning three of the four rubbers, as did both the men's pairs.
This meant the match was all square going into the last three mixed doubles with Norfolk needing to win just two more rubbers to steal victory.
You may also want to watch:
The first mixed pair of Craig Thomas and Amy Sharman had a walk-over as just into the match their opponents were forced to withdraw due to injury. With Norfolk only needing one more win, second pair Tom Hinks and Georgia Moyes were taken to three sets, losing the third in a very close match with some very good badminton by both players.
This left third pair Niko Schilling and Kathryn Adamson with it all to do and it took three sets and some nail biting scores before they emerged victorious 24 -22 in the final game.
- 1 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 2 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 3 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
- 4 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
- 5 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 6 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule
- 7 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries
- 8 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 9 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 10 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
Norfolk III: Tom Hinks, Sam Dismore, Craig Thomas, Nico Schilling – Kathryn Adamson, Emma Piper, Amy Sharman, Georgia Moyes.