Norfolk youngsters come away with a hard earned victory
Having fought through torrential rain and hazardous driving conditions to reach their opponents in Wellingborough, Norfolk's young third team continued their battle on court to achieve an 8-7 victory over Northants' second team.
Norfolk were faced with a very cold hall and only one playable court following a roof leak which meant one court was out of action.
With a late start and a long afternoon ahead of them it didn't look good. However having started their season with a 15-0 loss, the team seemed intent to make amends. Sam Dismore opened the match with the team's first ever win, closely followed by victory for Tom Hinks.
The girls were less fortunate in their singles but made up for it in the doubles, winning three of the four rubbers, as did both the men's pairs.
This meant the match was all square going into the last three mixed doubles with Norfolk needing to win just two more rubbers to steal victory.
You may also want to watch:
The first mixed pair of Craig Thomas and Amy Sharman had a walk-over as just into the match their opponents were forced to withdraw due to injury. With Norfolk only needing one more win, second pair Tom Hinks and Georgia Moyes were taken to three sets, losing the third in a very close match with some very good badminton by both players.
This left third pair Niko Schilling and Kathryn Adamson with it all to do and it took three sets and some nail biting scores before they emerged victorious 24 -22 in the final game.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 8 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
Norfolk III: Tom Hinks, Sam Dismore, Craig Thomas, Nico Schilling – Kathryn Adamson, Emma Piper, Amy Sharman, Georgia Moyes.