Norfolk youngsters come away with a hard earned victory
Having fought through torrential rain and hazardous driving conditions to reach their opponents in Wellingborough, Norfolk's young third team continued their battle on court to achieve an 8-7 victory over Northants' second team.
Norfolk were faced with a very cold hall and only one playable court following a roof leak which meant one court was out of action.
With a late start and a long afternoon ahead of them it didn't look good. However having started their season with a 15-0 loss, the team seemed intent to make amends. Sam Dismore opened the match with the team's first ever win, closely followed by victory for Tom Hinks.
The girls were less fortunate in their singles but made up for it in the doubles, winning three of the four rubbers, as did both the men's pairs.
This meant the match was all square going into the last three mixed doubles with Norfolk needing to win just two more rubbers to steal victory.
You may also want to watch:
The first mixed pair of Craig Thomas and Amy Sharman had a walk-over as just into the match their opponents were forced to withdraw due to injury. With Norfolk only needing one more win, second pair Tom Hinks and Georgia Moyes were taken to three sets, losing the third in a very close match with some very good badminton by both players.
This left third pair Niko Schilling and Kathryn Adamson with it all to do and it took three sets and some nail biting scores before they emerged victorious 24 -22 in the final game.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 3 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 9 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 10 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
Norfolk III: Tom Hinks, Sam Dismore, Craig Thomas, Nico Schilling – Kathryn Adamson, Emma Piper, Amy Sharman, Georgia Moyes.