NWGFL round-up: Thorpe United strike blow over title rivals Sprowston Ladies
- Credit: Archant
Thorpe United are in pole position to take the Norfolk Women's and Girls' League Division One title after a 4-2 win over Sprowston Ladies.
Laura Hedtke (2), Rebekah Lake and Shanice Sutton got the goals for Thorpe, who moved to within two points of leaders Sprowston, who have played two games more.
Wymondham Town Ladies Reserves edged a seven-goal thriller to beat Gorleston Ladies 4-3 whilst Fakenham Town won away at Long Stratton by the same scoreline.
Sam King grabbed a hat-trick for the Ghosts whilst Amy Bambridge was also on the scoresheet.
Meanwhile the Division Two title race took a twist as Beccles Town Ladies closed the gap at the top to three points after defeating FC Sprowston 3-0 at home.
You may also want to watch:
Jordan Duke, Grace Storey and Chloe Aston got the goals for Beccles, who have got a game in hand over Sprowston but a far inferior goal difference.
The other match in the second tier saw Bure Valley Wildcats Ladies beat Gorleston Rangers Ladies 3-2.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 4 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 9 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 10 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
Jasmine Betts bagged a brace for Bure Valley whilst Charlie Cooper was also on the scoresheet for the Wildcats.
Abigail Bell got both goals for Gorleston, who have got two games left before the end of the season.
In the seven-a-side division Briston Wanderers cruised to a 3-1 win over Morley Ladies, who had to start the game with only six players due to a car breakdown.
Morley still managed to give a good account of themselves with Rebecca Humphreys scoring with a deflected strike.
However, Briston's superiority eventually showed and they took the points courtesy of goals from Ellen Hutton, Megan Skinner and Emma Talmadge.
North Walsham U12 girls fought out a 1-1 draw against their Gorleston counterparts.
The Greens got their noses in front early on but North Walsham responded well and came close to an equaliser through Isla's volley.
Their pressure eventually paid off in the second half when Morgan made it 1-1 after some fine approach play with Isla.
Gorleston came on strong in the closing stages but Robyn was in excellent form to ensure her side gained a share of the spoils.