Norfolk teams fail to build on promising starts in County Week games
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk's teams both failed to build on promising starts as they lost their latest County Week matches.
After the second round of doubles at Cromer the men were in a commanding position at 4-2 against Yorkshire while the ladies were holding their own at 3-3 against Warwickshire at Eastbourne.
But from mid afternoon onwards Norfolk could not win another match, with both teams suffering in the heat as the men lost 5-4 and the ladies 6-3.
The men had beaten Surrey in the decisive rubber on Tuesday but the tables were turned this time around as Richard Bloomfield and Kris Jenkins were beaten in a third set tie-break to crush hopes of pushing for promotion.
Skipper Nicky Crawley said: 'The boys are devastated to say the least. From the position we were in this is a bitter pill to swallow'.
You may also want to watch:
It was difficult for the ladies who only had six fit players to call upon but there were some positives. Maddie Brooks and Emily Barrett won two of their three matches and could be a key pair for years to come while Frances Evans and Sam Noble came back from 2-4 down in the third to win Norfolk's other point 6-7, 6-4, 6-4.
Both sides have matches against Kent today.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre