Norfolk teams endure tough weekend at inter-county tennis tournament
Norfolk's top U10, U11 and U12 teams travelled to Queenswood School in Hertfordshire over the May Bank Holiday weekend and finished sixth at the annual inter-county Lionel Cox tournament.
The event sees county sides from the east region battle over three days, with teams in each age bracket, for the overall trophy.
Norfolk's strongest performance came from the U12 girls, who came second out of eight, while the U11 girls and U12 boys finished fifth overall.
The U12 girls were bolstered by a strong weekend from Abby Gooderham, who won three of her four matches, alongside excellent performances from Frances Evans and Rebecca Mainprize.
Two Norfolk players remained undefeated for the entire tournament; Monica Raviraj helped the U10 girls to seventh place and Danni Long-Martinez did likewise for the U10 boys.
Along with Gooderham, Katherine Barnes and Vianne Palffy each won three out of four matches; both were members of the U11 girls' side.
Team captains Karen Woodrow and Warren Sawyer were pleased with the application of every player against tough opposition in difficult conditions.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Fire crews to remain at scene of nature reserve blaze overnight
- 3 This is when thunderstorms will hit Norfolk this week
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 7 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 8 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 9 Brother and sister found dead in home were grieving beloved father
- 10 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
10 boys: 7th Danni Long-Martinez, Jamie Rice, Ben Chapman.
10 girls: 7th Monica Raviraj, Megan Waghorn, Anna Thompson.
11 boys: 7th Ewan Lait, Cameron Whiting, Matthew Thompson.
11 girls: 5th Katherine Barnes, Vianne Palffy, Esme Dickinson.
12 boys: 5th Alex Watkinson, Laurie Ollerton, Josh Self.
12 girls: 2nd Frances Evans, Abby Gooderham, Rebecca Mainprize.
• The Norfolk U14 boys' side enjoyed a relatively successful weekend at the County Cup in Uxbridge, finishing third overall in the region at the West Middlesex Tennis Club.
A semi-final loss to top-seeded Essex was followed by victory over neighbours Suffolk in a third and fourth place play-off.
Norfolk opened the weekend by overturning Cambridgeshire in fine style; singles wins for Will Davies, Alex McNaughton and Matthew Cott saw the team lead 3-1 after singles. Two strong doubles performances left the final score at 5-1 and propelled Norfolk into the regional semi-final where faced an extremely strong Essex team.
The singles were halved, with Davies and Cott producing the goods before McNaughton and Owen Tudor turned on the style in the doubles to put Norfolk 3-2 up. A doubles loss for Davies and Cott saw the match go to a tie-break shootout, which was won 10-5 by Essex to end hopes of a National Finals appearance for Norfolk.
Importantly, the team picked themselves up for the play-off with Suffolk and, with local pride very much at stake, produced a dominant display to win 5-1, with only a tight loss for Matthew Samson providing some consolation for Suffolk.
Captains Chris Stocker and Steve Breese were pleased with the weekend.
'Standout performances came from Will (Davies) and Matt (Cott),' said Stocker. 'The boys won some good matches when on paper they probably shouldn't have.'