Norfolk table tennis stars shine at Catton Grove schools tournament
Wensum Table Tennis Club, based at Catton Grove Primary School, hosted the Norfolk Schools Individual Championships, with 53 players from across the county contesting seven events.
The star of the day was seven-year-old Rafa Nazim from West Earlham School, who in her first competitive performance won the Under-11 girls' event.
Rafa dropped only a single leg in her four matches against Carrie Last from Aldborough Primary School, Emma Martin and Louisa Crabtree from Taverham Hall and Charlie Denton from Catton Grove School.
The Under-11 boys' was won by Oscar Moyes from Saxlingham Nethergate, beating Richard Chenery-Woods from Dickleburgh Primary in the final.
Catton Grove's Sam Horth reached the last four, as did Tom Martin from Taverham Hall.
The Under-13 and Under-16 girls' events were contested as one group, with only the matches against those in their relevant age group counting towards the event winner.
Rosanna Brocklesby from Reepham High won the Under-13s with Abby George from Ormiston Academy second.
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
Rhiannon Evans from Framingham Earl High won the Under-16 event over Kate Brocklesby from Reepham High and Vicky Last from Aylsham High.
Wymondham High's Oliver Thompson added the boys' Under-13 title to his 2010 Under-11 crown, beating Karl Brown of St Clement's High, while the Under-16 boys' saw Will Lawes from Old Buckenham High beat Hethersett High's Tom Fox.
Sam Rock from Hellesdon High took the Under-19 boys' honours, ahead of Notre Dame High's Stephen Harlsey from School and Jordan Howard from Hewett.
All the winners will play in the national finals, in Doncaster on April 16.