Norfolk table tennis stars shine at Catton Grove schools tournament
Wensum Table Tennis Club, based at Catton Grove Primary School, hosted the Norfolk Schools Individual Championships, with 53 players from across the county contesting seven events.
The star of the day was seven-year-old Rafa Nazim from West Earlham School, who in her first competitive performance won the Under-11 girls' event.
Rafa dropped only a single leg in her four matches against Carrie Last from Aldborough Primary School, Emma Martin and Louisa Crabtree from Taverham Hall and Charlie Denton from Catton Grove School.
The Under-11 boys' was won by Oscar Moyes from Saxlingham Nethergate, beating Richard Chenery-Woods from Dickleburgh Primary in the final.
Catton Grove's Sam Horth reached the last four, as did Tom Martin from Taverham Hall.
You may also want to watch:
The Under-13 and Under-16 girls' events were contested as one group, with only the matches against those in their relevant age group counting towards the event winner.
Rosanna Brocklesby from Reepham High won the Under-13s with Abby George from Ormiston Academy second.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 6 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 7 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 8 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
Rhiannon Evans from Framingham Earl High won the Under-16 event over Kate Brocklesby from Reepham High and Vicky Last from Aylsham High.
Wymondham High's Oliver Thompson added the boys' Under-13 title to his 2010 Under-11 crown, beating Karl Brown of St Clement's High, while the Under-16 boys' saw Will Lawes from Old Buckenham High beat Hethersett High's Tom Fox.
Sam Rock from Hellesdon High took the Under-19 boys' honours, ahead of Notre Dame High's Stephen Harlsey from School and Jordan Howard from Hewett.
All the winners will play in the national finals, in Doncaster on April 16.