Norfolk Seniors find odds stacked against them
Norfolk Seniors faced an uphill battle when they travelled to Moor Park in Hertfordshire for their latest fixture of a busy summer, the EGU South East Group qualifier.
The competition is a 36 hole, scratch medal event played over two days, against 10 other counties. Kent, Surrey, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire and Hertfordshire are part of the group, all of which have at least twice the number of clubs in their counties and therefore far more players to select their teams from. Their handicaps range from scratch or better to two whereas Norfolk's handicaps range from four to six. This makes it difficult for Norfolk to compete and many feel the time has come to rethink the composition of the groups, putting counties with similar numbers of clubs together, to make the competition more enjoyable for everyone.
Moor Park was a wonderful venue and with the large sloping greens running about 11 on the stimpmeter, scoring was very difficult. Doug Gilchrist was Norfolk's best player with two rounds of 80 and the second round would have been much better had he not dropped five shots on the last three holes.
Home county Hertfordshire won the event and so move on to the national finals, Norfolk finished 10th with just Essex below them.
Team: Tony Lount (capt) Sheringham, Terry Norman, Gt Yarmouth & Caister, Doug Gilchrist, Weston Park, Harvey Scott, King's Lynn. Alan Hewison. Richmond Park. Dave Hudson. Hunstanton (making his Norfolk debut).
Norfolk then moved on to their last league game of the season, away to Cambridgeshire at Newmarket Links.
This turned out to be a very close match and was played on a very good course. After competing for a total of 216 holes, Cambridgeshire won by just one hole. There were good performances from Tony Lount who won 6 up, Graham Turner who won 5 up and John Doe who won 4 up. Harvey Scott and Doug Gilchrist also both won their matches and so remain unbeaten in the league.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 9 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 10 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
Team: Tony Lount (capt), Roger Pointen Sheringham, Alan Hewison, Terry Norman, Doug Gilchrist, Harvey Scott, Graham Turner, Mundesley, Richard Blakey Eaton, Bernie Peet, Dave Pattrick, Royal Cromer, Simon Fuller, John Doe, Royal Cromer.