Norfolk Senior Cup final recap: Downham Town 2 Norwich United 4
- Credit: Archant
The floodlights were back on at Carrow Road this evening, for this season's Norfolk Senior Cup final, and we were there to bring you all the updates.
Downham Town take on Norwich United in a 7.30pm kick-off, with both teams going into the final in very differing moods.
Norwich were relegated from step four of the non-league pyramid following a 6-3 defeat at Chesham on Saturday, coming back from 3-0 down to equalise, only to slip to defeat and lose their Bostik League Division One North status.
The Planters had won the Eastern Counties title twice before taking the step up, finishing ninth in their first campaign at that level but falling short this season.
The Blofield-based side have been runners-up four times previously, last reaching the final in 2016, when they were beaten 2-0 by Dereham Town – although they did win the trophy twice in the 1980s in their previous guise as Poringland.
Whereas Downham, who plays two levels lower in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties First Division, are unbeaten in seven games, winning five of that run.
You may also want to watch:
The west Norfolk side are set to finish in mid-table at that level but have previously won the senior cup twice, in the 1960s, when they were also runners-up twice.
• Follow updates above from around 7pm
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 6 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country