Norfolk’s Olly Stone steps in as captain for England Under-19s tour of South Africa
Norfolk cricketer Olly Stone will captain England Under-19s on their tour to South Africa following an injury to skipper Shiv Thakor.
Thakor suffered a broken finger during this week's warm-up match against a Western Cape Invitation XI in Cape Town and is expected to be out of action for up to six weeks.
That rules him out of the tour, which features two four-day Youth Tests and five one-day internationals.
The tourists, who lost the match against Western Cape by seven wickets, take on South Africa U19s in the first Youth Test in Cape Town tomorrow, with play starting at 8am GMT.
The elevation to captaincy is the latest feather in Stone's cap following an outstanding year in 2012. The Vauxhall Mallards paceman, 19, whose family live in Brundall, made his First Class debut for Northamptonshire in May and later in the summer he was rewarded with a two-year professional contract.
You may also want to watch:
Stone made his Norfolk debut in 2011, but his appearances for the county have been restricted by his involvement at Northamptonshire.
Thomas Alsop of Hampshire has also been called up as a replacement batsman to the England U19s squad, while Somerset pace bowler Jamie Overton will join the party for the one-day games, which start on February 13.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 4 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
- 10 Man ran onto train tracks to escape Covid police