Norfolk’s Olly Stone steps in as captain for England Under-19s tour of South Africa
Norfolk cricketer Olly Stone will captain England Under-19s on their tour to South Africa following an injury to skipper Shiv Thakor.
Thakor suffered a broken finger during this week's warm-up match against a Western Cape Invitation XI in Cape Town and is expected to be out of action for up to six weeks.
That rules him out of the tour, which features two four-day Youth Tests and five one-day internationals.
The tourists, who lost the match against Western Cape by seven wickets, take on South Africa U19s in the first Youth Test in Cape Town tomorrow, with play starting at 8am GMT.
The elevation to captaincy is the latest feather in Stone's cap following an outstanding year in 2012. The Vauxhall Mallards paceman, 19, whose family live in Brundall, made his First Class debut for Northamptonshire in May and later in the summer he was rewarded with a two-year professional contract.
You may also want to watch:
Stone made his Norfolk debut in 2011, but his appearances for the county have been restricted by his involvement at Northamptonshire.
Thomas Alsop of Hampshire has also been called up as a replacement batsman to the England U19s squad, while Somerset pace bowler Jamie Overton will join the party for the one-day games, which start on February 13.
- 1 Water outages hit homes across city
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 5 People released from car after crash closes road
- 6 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 7 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 8 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 9 Police called to reports of young men climbing up crane in Norwich
- 10 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients