Norfolk’s Ben and Tom Youngs part of British and Irish Lions’ squad to take on Australia
Norfolk's Ben and Tom Youngs struggled to contain their emotions after being named in Warren Gatland's British and Irish Lions' squad to take on Australia.
The former Gresham's pupils and Holt players will hope to gmake their Lions debuts during the 10-match tour, which will feature three Tests against the Wallabies.
'It's one of those where it's really overwhelming and probably still hasn't sunk in now,' said scrum-half Ben. 'It's something that you dream of and all it ever is, is a dream and you never think it's going to come true.
'The text messages have been coming in and my granny rang me and she couldn't really say too much. She was very emotional. You can tell how much it means to get selected for the Lions when you hear all your family members and how much it also means to them.
'Being selected for your country is one thing but making this is the pinnacle of any rugby career. It's always the dream. So to hear your name read out is a real honour and an absolute privilege.'
You may also want to watch:
While 23-year-old Ben has been a regular for England, the rapid accent on to the national scene of his Leicester Tigers team-mate and older brother Tom as a hooker means his call-up to Lions' duty caps a meteoric rise.
'My brother making the squad, I'm just so proud of him,' said Ben. 'I think he's a great role model and he's a tremendous example of hard work paying off, and you can do anything you put your mind to. A lot of this is mental and he's got tremendous mental strength. He really deserves it.'
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 9 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 10 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
'It's an unbelievable feeling and a massive dream come true,' added 26-year-old Tom. 'It something you watch through the years of growing up, you buy the DVDs and videos of the tours when they come out, and suddenly you're going to be on the plane going out there. It's awesome.'