Norfolk’s Ben and Tom Youngs part of British and Irish Lions’ squad to take on Australia
Norfolk's Ben and Tom Youngs struggled to contain their emotions after being named in Warren Gatland's British and Irish Lions' squad to take on Australia.
The former Gresham's pupils and Holt players will hope to gmake their Lions debuts during the 10-match tour, which will feature three Tests against the Wallabies.
'It's one of those where it's really overwhelming and probably still hasn't sunk in now,' said scrum-half Ben. 'It's something that you dream of and all it ever is, is a dream and you never think it's going to come true.
'The text messages have been coming in and my granny rang me and she couldn't really say too much. She was very emotional. You can tell how much it means to get selected for the Lions when you hear all your family members and how much it also means to them.
'Being selected for your country is one thing but making this is the pinnacle of any rugby career. It's always the dream. So to hear your name read out is a real honour and an absolute privilege.'
You may also want to watch:
While 23-year-old Ben has been a regular for England, the rapid accent on to the national scene of his Leicester Tigers team-mate and older brother Tom as a hooker means his call-up to Lions' duty caps a meteoric rise.
'My brother making the squad, I'm just so proud of him,' said Ben. 'I think he's a great role model and he's a tremendous example of hard work paying off, and you can do anything you put your mind to. A lot of this is mental and he's got tremendous mental strength. He really deserves it.'
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 8 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 9 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 10 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
'It's an unbelievable feeling and a massive dream come true,' added 26-year-old Tom. 'It something you watch through the years of growing up, you buy the DVDs and videos of the tours when they come out, and suddenly you're going to be on the plane going out there. It's awesome.'