Who would make your England starting XI?
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England boss Gareth Southgate has named his 23-man World Cup squad - but who should make the starting XI against Tunisia?
Joe Hart was a notable omission from Southgate's 23-man squad, with Burnley's fit-again stopper Tom Heaton one of five players on stand-by along with James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana.
'With Joe, we've got three other goalkeepers who have had very good seasons,' said Southgate.
'The decision I was faced with was do I keep Joe in and have experience around the group? Or give the three guys who have basically had a better season a chance? We felt the players all needed to be in on merit after their performances this season.
'History tells us that one of those standby players may end up in the squad, as it's very unusual for us to get through the end of the season and our two preparation games without any issues.
You may also want to watch:
'All of the guys on standby have been really professional in their approach to this. They recognise there's still an opportunity and we've had a lot of conversations over a period of time with them about their situation.'
England start their World Cup campaign against Tunisia on June 18, followed by Group G clashes against Panama and Belgium.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 4 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 5 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 6 Man seriously injured after crash
- 7 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 8 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 9 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 10 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
• ENGLAND'S 23-MAN WORLD CUP SQUAD:
Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy.